Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
I've had the ibook and the newer pb 12 and prefer the 12.
It is fast - - not as fast for cpu intensive tasks as a G5, but for "regualr" desktop work - opening/resizing windows, finder, email, internet, office, I find it to be about as fast as a G5.
My only issues are:
1. I'm a big guy and the keyboard/size of unit feels small. I'm pretty sure this is an "illusion" as the ibook has the same size keyboard, but didn't feel small, maybe b/c the extra room on the side.
2. I wish I had gotten the 5400 RPM drive - I think that extra speed would make a big difference.

I like the portablilty - and I acutlaly use it as a desktop mostly - witha 19" Digital LCD monitor and extranl kb/mouse - so it's great as a "desktop" - it's really nice to travel with.

I have been toying withthe idea of selling it and getting the 15/1.5, but:
1. That's an extra $600 (i get a one time ADC discount of 20%)
2. I would suspect the machines will be rev'd in January
3. I'm mostly just looking ot buy the 15 b/c it's cool, feels bigger and I want to buy a new machine - I don't really "need" it ;-(

So, bottom line is I highly recommend the machine - just get the faster hard drive.
I'll probably go ahead and get the faster drive and have it installed or install it myslelf.
anyone done this on this machine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.