12" Powerbook G4 (1.25 ghz) reliability

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by KurtangleTN, Nov 28, 2007.

1. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

So as you see in my sig my iBooks logic board is dead, and I just can't shell another $100 for repair on something I paid $280 for, just today I found a great deal on a used Powerbook G4 1.25ghz 12".. which is perfect but with my past experience with the iBook, I'm fairly worried about reliability issues and have read Apple won't cover these while they cover other G4 Powerbooks..

Thanks in advanced

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

My friend's lasted him 2-3 years until the DC-In board got fried, which I just fixed (but broke the power connector off the logic board in the process, and now i need to find my soldering kit) and aside from that, would still be going strong.

3. California macrumors 68040

California

Did they make a 12" PBook at 1.25ghz? I thought it was 1.0,1.33 and 1.5ghz.

Anyway, I've owned two 1.5ghz's -- sold the combo drive for the superdrive model. I have Applecare on it until August 2009.

I think there is some issue with the video card on the 12" PB. The way you can tell is on start up, I believe. My combo drive was doing this (tho under applecare) -- flickering on start up in a weird way. My guess is the heat generated in these little miracles. However, no flicker on the superdrive model 1.5ghz. Look for it. Get this model, too. It's got 2.0 bluetooth, motion sensor for the hard drive scrolling trackpad, etc. Also upgrade the hard drive to a bigger faster one. I love my PB.

4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Difficult... isn't it?! I had to take mine off twice and it's probably the hardest thing I have ever done with a computer. All's fine and well.

To the OP: I recommend the PB over the iBook. It'll feel like a premium upgrade!

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

My word yes! I tore apart a busted iBook and although they were hard to remove as well, it wasn't a huge chore... this one though... i was careful as I could be, and the connector just popped right off!

You know, why couldn't it have been the Mic connector that is right next to it? I don't need a mic, especially without a cam, and so... that I could live without... but noooo.... had to be the one thing I cannot replicate otherwise, the power button!

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

What's funny (or not in this case) is that the mic connector is a lot easier to get at. I use 'easier' in the broadest sense possible. What we've done is not easy - and the iBook is veeerrry different. Feels so spacey inside!

The plus side.... the PowerBook is an amazing computer. I am so glad I ditched the MacBook.

7. KurtangleTN thread starter macrumors 6502a

Whoops, yeah it's 1.5 ghz, I have no clue what I'm thinking! Unsure if it's super or combo-drive, waiting for a response.

I am most likely going to go for it, It's defiantly an upgrade over the old iBook (which when I have time I'll part some out and take the HD out I suppose, anything cool to do with the cases?) and be a massive upgrade (even bigger then my iBook) over my current PC laptop that I'm just so tired of.

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

Just so you know... removing the iBook's hard drive requires you to
    Remove the keyboard
    Remove the Battery
    Remove the RAM
    Remove the AirPort
    Remove the lower shell of the case
    Remove the upper shell of the case
    Remove the upper EM shield
    Remove the Lower EM Shield

Have with that buddy! (I have done it twice)

But, it is nowhere near the scary level of replacing the DC In board on the PowerBook
    Remove the battery
    Remove the Airport
    Remove the RAM
    Remove the Keyboard
    Remove the top case (don't remove the power connector off the logic board :))
    Remove the heat sink
    Remove the logic board!!!!
    There is the DC IN Board

However, on a bright note, the iBook G4's DC in Board is compatible with the PowerBook's so if I can find a way to cram it into it, it should work just fine. Then I will just need a new battery and this sucker will be good as new. Next job will be replacing the screen though. XGA (1024*768) is decent considering the screen size, but imagine SXGA+ (1440*1050) on that sucker... drool!

9. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

My 12" PB 1.33 has been the model of durability for 4 years now. Very good quality IME.

10. TheStu macrumors 65816

You are quite lucky then. My understanding is that the PowerBooks and iBooks were quite prone to DC in and Logic Board failure. I would reckon though that if it hasn't failed yet, then you are probably safe.

11. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

My 15" 1.0 ghz powerbook G4 (from the same laptop family as the 12" PB G4) is still chugging along perfectly after, what, 4 years? The only problem it had was when it fell from chair seat height, which didn't damage the laptop besides giving it a tiny dent in the casing, but it messed up the power cord connector so it made an intermittent connection. I just replaced the power cord and all was fine.

I've been pretty rough on the old guy, but he's a trooper and just keeps rolling along.

12. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I'm pretty certain it was just the iBooks that suffered the logic board problem. Remember, the iBook and Powerbook have always used completely different boards.

13. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

i had a 1ghz 12" powerbook for a couple of years. it was great. No problems at all. I wouldn't have sold it.. but i couldn't resist the 24 months no interest on a macbook pro.

14. MidiMonk macrumors regular

My 12" 1 ghz has been been a real trooper and still works great(minus the DVD due to being thrown into a wall).The wireless connection just works, no missing letters when typing.A great purchase that surpasses my new MBP in satisfaction.

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You've still got to admit that the MB is technologically superior. I love my wife's ('cept for the keyboard. There isn't enough bounce to suit me).

I think the only thing I don't like about my 12" 1.5GHz PB is the washed out screen. It really sucks. It's so washed out that sometimes I can see the blue lines in Finder's list view but most of the time I can't see them at all. This is with multiple calibrations etc. It's just a case of a washed out screen.

I'd love to try a high res screen mod for it though.

16. TheStu macrumors 65816

If I can get it working on mine, i'll post all the stuff on here. I have high hopes though, the one guy on here put a WUXGA panel into his PowerBook and didn't need to alter a thing (ok he needed a MacBook Pro screen bezel) file wise. So hopefully, it really will be as easy as just dropping the new panel in.

17. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Any idea how this can be done? I've seen the 15" thread but I would like to try getting a hi-res mod. That would make this totally sweet.

The MacBook is faster, but I just don't like it.

18. TheStu macrumors 65816

You'd have to find a 12" panel on ebay that is compatible with the PowerBook (no idea where to start for that) Based on the other guy's experience, then it should just be able to drop in (well, screw in... you get the idea) and then OS X apparently was able to just auto-detect the panel's res and set itself up. However, the newer intel macs are much harder to drop the panel into. Also, no idea how easy/hard it will be since the 12" PB has an nVidia card and the 15+17" PBs used ATi graphics cards. So, like I said, so no idea how easy it will actually be. Also, SXGA+ 12" screens are around $150-200 on ebay, so not as cheap as the WUXGA mod either.