12" Powerbook G4 Help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by koobcamuk, Nov 19, 2007.

1. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I am getting a 12" PowerBook G4 and need some advice.

It's the 1.33 Ghz model, with a 60GB HDD.

I have a 160GB HDD in my MacBook - can I put the MacBook HDD into the PowerBook? I know this would need to be carried out by an authorised Mac reseller or some such thing, but this isn't a problem.

How about RAM? I could buy a 1GB stick off crucial to throw in there and max it out I suppose? I guess that the MacBook RAM and PowerBook RAM are different...

Thanks for your help!

2. ale500 macrumors regular

PBs HDs are Paralell ATA, not serial ATA as the MB. So they are not compatible. Memory is also not compatible. DDR SDRAM vs DDR2 SDRAM. you are better getting new from both. 1 GB DDR sticks are supported, just one, only one slot.

3. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

What's the maximum HDD that the powerbook can take and do you know how much it might cost?

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Hi,

Presumably this has to do with our trade. I can tell you that the largest HDD the PowerBook can take is only limited by what is on the market.

For example, it can take the Western Digital Scorpio 250GB 2.5" IDE 5400RPM drive, which you can find for around £100.

You can also get a Seagate Momentus 160GB drive for around £90, or the 120GB variant for around £60.

As for memory, the maximum the 12" can take is 1.25GB (1GB chip + 256MB integrated onto logic board).

David

5. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

David, that's correct - it's to do with our trade. However, I didn't want to constantly bombard you with emails!

Where can I find the Western Digital Scorpio 250GB 2.5" IDE 5400RPM for around £100? Amazon.co.uk shows it for about £127.

I assume crucial for RAM.

6. kerpow macrumors 6502

7. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

I replaced mine back in Jan'06... very easy to do once you have all the correct tools for opening the Powerbook up. As with the iPods, first time opening takes a little persuasion but it's not too bad. After that you can open the thing with your eyes closed. Just be careful with the power button cable, I had to resolder the socket on mine which induced a lot of swearing. Be gentle, work it out of its socket bit by bit from both sides and it'll be fine.

Any capacity 2.5" PATA should do. IIRC you need to go for a 9.5mm rather than the thicker drives, I'm not 100% sure on that but better safe than sorry when it comes to fitting it in... you don't want to find that it's too thick :)

I went for 5400 RPM as I heard the 7200s get a little toasty for the lil 12" PB, but having seen inside it I think a 7200 would be ok. Just something else to bear in mind, also remembering that it's where your left wrist sits.

8. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I think 5400 RPM should be fine - it's what I have been used to for a long time now!

Overclockers have sold out of Western Digital Scorpio 250GB 5400RPM ATA-100 8MB Cache - OEM (WD2500BEVE), and Amazon have it for another £30 ($60). Should I hold out until overclockers restock?

9. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

The stock drive is 4200 RPM. So it'd actually be a speed boost :)

I'm not a fan of OC.org personally, got mine from Scan. Here's almost the same model of WD Scorpio that I got:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=648902

Except mine was the older WD800VE. They do sell the bigger ones too, 80GB was fine for me. Fairly quiet and non-clunky, and been going strong since Jan'06.

10. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Interesting. Why aren't you a fan of OC.org? Maybe I should go with Amazon then? I think £130 for a 250GB HDD is a steal. It'll be faster for the powerbook and I don't think I would ever need to upgrade ever again! (for this machine).

Is it worth doing this myself (I did an optical drive change for my girlfriend's iBook) or should I pay an Apple reseller to do it?

Thanks!

11. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Bad experience with their service... they're *very* snotty about returns and try to blame the customer etc. At least in my experience, and they seem to have a reputation for this. That said, I've seen Scan slagged off a few times but been using them for maybe 10 years or so with no hassle *shrug*

Amazon or Scan, whichever is the better deal... perhaps Amazon, as Scan are quite expensive when it comes to postage.

If you managed an optical drive chance on an iBook, then I'd say do it yourself, as you have experience in doing something similar you'll probably find it a doddle... follow the instructions on ifixit, make sure you have the correct tools (that's the hardest part, getting hold of the 00 Philips and T6 Torx!) and it's pretty easy. I wouldn't go forking out £50+ or whatever it costs for a service engineer personally.

12. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Cool cool. I just found the drive I am after on macupdates.co.uk. They should have stock of the 250GB 5400 RPM HDD this wednesday. Until then, I'll just make do.

The screwdrivers are not a problem. I have a full set that I have used for years performing 'operations' on mobile phones. got all the torx and mini phillips!

Thanks for your advice - I'll post pictures when I am done :)

Opening up this baby will make me put my heart in my mouth though.

13. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Hehehe I know the feeling, can only say they're *almost* as pretty on the inside as they are on the outside...

Good luck

14. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Well, I did it and I took my time. Success! 250GB and 1.25GB RAM... it's a damn nice laptop to carry around.

15. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

16. California macrumors 68040

California

did you notice any speed boost with the larger and faster hard drive?

I have the 1.5ghz powerbook 12" and it has a 100gb hd at 7200rpms -- wondering if the huge 250 5400 rpm drive is any faster? (I heard that the larger the hd, the faster the speed)

17. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I think this holds true. I did notice a huge improvement over the 60GB that it had already in it (4200RPM).

I think the 7200RPMs are fast, but a huge 5400RPM is comparable. Maybe others can chime in on this?

It feels like a new machine.

18. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

80GB 5400RPM seemed a little snappier to me. Perhaps, somewhat like the ongoing Safari gag, it was my imagination... not sure.

19. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Hi,

I need to upgrade my PB's HD as well. Are there any good deals on Amazon.co.uk because I need to order some other things from them anyway.

When it comes to technical aspects of computers I have no clue, so I really would appreciate it if someone can link me to an HD which will definitely work with my PB. Bigger is better.

Thanks so much!

Tymmz