12" Powerbook G4 Questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by brown.jasonc, Jul 2, 2013.

1. brown.jasonc macrumors newbie

I have a Powerbook G4 from years ago and wanted to update it and get it running smooth and nice again. Where should I start? I'd like to run the highest OS it can handle. I don't know if I have original start up disks anymore, just the computer itself. Just had to buy a new charger and battery just to turn it on. Also I require the use of Mac Office and I'm afraid if I erase everything, I'll lose it. Any way to get that back? It's the 2007 version, and I actually need that version for a class I'm in because the 2011 version doesn't have some of the add ins anymore. I'll give computer specs and will listen to anyone's advice! Thank you, any help would be awesome!

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 12"
    Machine Model: PowerBook6,8
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 768 MB
    Bus Speed: 167 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.9.0f0
    Serial Number: 4H5240M3RJ5
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled
    Version: 1.0

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My wife has the 1Ghz 12" PB. She's running Leopard 10.5.8 which is the highest you can run.

You said Office 2007, but it's actually Office 2008. Except for Office 2011, Microsoft only released Mac versions in even numbered years.

To run Leopard decently I'd suggest maxing your ram. You'll also need to find a retail disk. Be forewarned that the disks go for a premium on eBay and elsewhere.

3. RedCroissant, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

RedCroissant Suspended

Also keep in mind with the Leopard retail disk that iLife is NOT included. Not at all and you'll have find that separately or buy a box set. The interesting thins is that people selling the Leopard retail disks of 10.5.1 normally price them lower because it's not the most updated version AND the bidding is usually much lower as well. I got a Leopard 10.5.1 family pack for $100 and free shipping. Compare this to people selling a single user license of Leopard 10.5.6 for $125-$150 or the family pack of 10.5.6(or whatever is the highest release) for around $200.

All you have to do is go to Apple's support page, go to the downloads section and performa search for 10.5.8 Leopard combo update and download it(free). I did this before I bought Leopard and saved a lot of money and time this way. The initial install is local and so is the update(which is much faster than using software update to do it and then install it).

Have fun!

----------

The great thing about Microsoft(and yes there are many) is that as long as you have a receipt for your purchase, they will find a way to make sure you have the product that you bought. I was even able to get an XP SP2 replacement full install disc in 2009 to replace the XP SP1 upgrade disc that I bought in 2004.

And have you looked at Open Office and/or LibreOffice? Given that the MO product you're using is from 2008, these free productivity suites might be able to fulfill your needs.

4. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

The latest OS you can run will be debian.
    The latest OS you can run easily with office is OS X 10.5.8.

5. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Thanks for a useless answer. he clearly stated that he needs Office for Mac.

6. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

I can list many new OSes other than Debian. As MisterKeeks said, this is a useless answer.

7. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

Especially if you're running Debian stable.

8. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

How cute, you edited your post.

What do you mean, easily? You aren't suggesting emulation again are you?