12" PowerBook G4 - Recurring Kernel Panics - Tried Everything

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Justin122, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Justin122 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I've been having a problem with my PowerBook the last couple of months where I cannot turn the computer on without a kernel panic. I can get past the Apple logo at boot before this happens. I've tried everything, including the various boot options and it always reboots into a kernel panic. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Is this all booting the same OS install off the same drive? Kernel panics are usually software related, so if you can try booting off another drive or OS install, you should just to see if you've got some data corruption going on.

3. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

You can try booting in "safe mode" by holding down shift. If that doesn't work, try single user with command-s. If that boots, then it may be the GPU is bad. Might also try taking out the airport card and see what you get.

4. RhianB, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016

RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

I have used this outlined troubleshooting process linked below.

1. Safemode
    2. Update soft/firmware
    3. Verify disk health
    4. Remove peripherals
    5. verify RAM sticks

http://www.macworld.com/article/2027201/how-to-troubleshoot-a-kernel-panic.html

For me, it was a bad stick of ram in a 06 intel white iMac I purchased 2nd hand. The box started acting like it was possessed. Testing each ram stick individually showed a faulty stick was causing the kps. Anyhow, replacing both sticks with Apple certified crucial ram fixed it. The above process is solid for crossing off what isn't causing the kps until you find the cause. Good luck.