12" Powerbook G4 Startup Problem! Help!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zenvision, Jul 19, 2008.

1. zenvision macrumors regular

I have a problem...my 12" Powerbook G4 doesn't start up properly at the moment. I turn it on, I can hear the chime, and the screen goes grey but then does nothing...I've tried holding down C while starting up too, but still nothing happens, just the grey screen

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Holding down C will boot from the DVD drive. I assume that you put the Restore DVD in first.

What happens when you hold down the LEFT ALT (option) key during a boot. Does it list the devices you can boot from.

3. zenvision thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip, I tried that and two buttons appeared on screen; one with a curved arrow and one with a straight arrow. The cursor (a watch) was moveable for a few seconds and I tried clicking one of the buttons but nothing happened, and then it froze.

I don't have the DVD for the startup :(

Any suggestions? Thank you.

4. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Sounds like you have a problem with the hard drive. The only way to verify this is to try and boot from either the Powerbook Restore DVD or from a Tiger Install DVD or a Leopard Install DVD.

5. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Alternatively you can connect the Powerbook to another MAC via a firewire cable and then Start the Powerbook in Target Disk mode (hold down the T when booting).

You should then be able to see the hard drive and see if it needs repairing in disk utility.

6. zenvision thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the suggestions. i tried connecting it via firewire and starting it in target disk mode, but nothing came up on my mbp :/

also, i can't use any install dvd's/cd's as the drive doesn't work anyway...

any other options?