12" Powerbook good choice for a travel laptop?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by silversyren, Apr 10, 2008.

1. silversyren macrumors member

Hello,

My dad wants a laptop. He travels a lot, overseas to China.

Laptop Requirements:

- Travel-size friendly.
    - Under $500.
    - Fast for online stock trading.
    - Able to connect easily by wireless.

I've priced-checked some laptops and honestly, I'd like to get him a mac so he doesn't have to deal with any viruses.

Any opinion on the 12" inch latest rev of the powerbook?

He trades stocks online so I'm slightly worried about compatibility. He wants the laptop for getting online fast and trading stocks. He doesn't need photoshop or anything else like that. Also, does the 12" powerbook have problems with weak airport? I know my 15" Powerbook sometimes can't find a wireless signal and my sister's macbook or my cousin's dell can.

Thanks!

2. Queso macrumors G4

My PowerBook 12" has been all over Europe with me. You're right about the wireless signal, which is the weakpoint in an otherwise perfect travel machine. Fully featured unlike the Air. You may want to get him a new battery though. The original one will be getting on a bit now.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

A PB 12" would be great, or 12" iBook G4 (which is what was with me all over Europe). No issues with Airport on it.

4. silversyren thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I totally didn't even consider the ibook for some reason. Will be looking into that as well.

Thanks so much!

5. jonswan macrumors regular

I think you mean the 'last' version of the PB G4 - the 'latest' would mean they are still being produced, which is a lot of people's major fantasy round here (including me).
    My G4 12 inch PB is a very trusted travelling companion so it'd be a wise move, in my opinion. The wifi is good, unlike the newer MBPs.

6. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Most definitely. I have used a number of iterations of the 12" PowerBook since it was first released. It's a fantastic machine (and what I'm typing this on!). I'm only now getting a Mac Pro, but I'll keep the PowerBook for as long as I can.

Also, it's just the exact right size to fit a couple of sheets of A4 paper when you close the lid, so you keep your work neat and in the same place!

Get a neoprene skin to go with it.

AppleMatt

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The 12" ers are great travel companions. I held off getting a MBP for yonks because I didn't want to lose the small shape and light weight.

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

good luck!

if you can find the last rev 12 inch pb for under 500, be on that like white on rice cause that will be a steal... You wont find one though. try for an iBook for that price

9. silversyren thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I just did a quick look at ebay and it seems like the 12 inch powerbooks are at least $600.

How's this ibook look for $500? Good deal? I'm in a slight time crunch -- gotta get it and set it up for my dad before I fly back home.

10. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

I don't think the iBook (or the 12" PowerBook for that matter) ever supported 1.5GB of RAM. 1.25GB was the maximum (256MB on the motherboard, plus a 1GB SO-DIMM in the single memory slot). Either way, the specs look fine.

11. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

the last revision of the ibook did.

12. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Th last revisions of each did. Mine's running 1.5GB right now, a 1.33GHz iBook G4.

13. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I have to say that this lovely 2 year old 12" PB, maxed out, is still a very great machine to this day, and a perfect compliment to my Mac Pro. It suffices for internet browsing, photo storage, music and video watching, and runs all the 08 iApps well (minus iMovie 08), all on leopard. I really wish Apple had carried on the form factor, but oh well. I'd say it would suffice for his needs.

FYI, the iBook can handle 1.5 Gbs of RAM whereas the 12" PowerBook can only handle 1.25, but they should both be about the same speed given the maximum specs they ever saw.

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you get a G4, put Tiger on it. No reason to make it slower with Leopard.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

According to MacTracker, the 12" maximum is 1.25 GB even to the final iterations.

16. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

they also say 1gb is the max for the last imac g4s, but it can go up to 2.

17. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

ah well, just the iBook G4 then.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

They report 2GB maximum for all of the iMac G4 models except the 800 mhz.

19. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

The last revision of the iBook G4s had 512 soldered in. Why in the HELL they never upped the 12" powerbook's soldered memory, I don't know. I'm still a little bitter about that (but I do still use the powerbook every day).

20. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Don't feel too bad. I don't think even 1TB of RAM could save my iBook from debilitating sloth.

21. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Oh OK, that's interesting to know. As appleretailguy said, it would have been good to have 512MB soldered into the final revision 12" PowerBooks too, but who can really ever understand the decisions Apple makes regarding these things. I could really use some more RAM in my 12" PowerBook...

22. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Just saw your sig, when it's delivered I'll have exactly the same configuration as you! I'm looking forward to see how much faster the Mac Pro is over the PowerBook.

AppleMatt

23. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I actually just helped my dad buy one of these :) It's great. I maxed out his RAM just the other day and it has been running great. The G4 iBook is great for the traveling man or woman. You can't beat it for the price, either :)