12" Powerbook Optical drive and screen hinge issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by California, Jan 8, 2009.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

I picked up a 12" PB for 160 USD today. It had a bad battery and noisy and seemingly non functional optical drive, stock configuration.

Looked like someone tried to open it up and failed to put back one of the hinge screws. I believe this is causing a green line (crimp in the video cable) on the screen.

My question is: I have never replaced the optical drive on one of these.

I bought this for a friend whose ibook died and he has a nearly brand new dual layer ATA superdrive in it that I can replace into the Powerbook.

I knew this was daunting. Then I really just looked at the ifixit steps and yeah, you have to dismantle the WHOLE computer. There are 46 steps to replace the optical drive!

Has anyone attempted this? I don't understand why you have to take out the logic board to get the optical drive out?

On the upside, the near dead battery is eligible for the replacement program, so Apple is sending a new 125 dollar battery.

Sorry I am rambling, just freaked at how much work it is to put a new optical drive in these things. Major surgery. someone on MR said they did it before.

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I replaced the Hard Drive in my Powerbook G4 12" and found that quite difficult. Disassembly is easy, the problem is all those pesky screws.

Looks like the DVD drive means you have to disassemble the whole laptop. I would not be comfortable doing that. Have you checked how much it would cost to get a third party company to do it?

3. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

You could also try and get an external firewire superdrive cheap on ebay.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Wow wish I would have seen that. You find that on Craigslist? I've heard of you replacing the optical drives in many iBooks so why should you have any problems with the Powerbooks? Just a few more screws to remove and the logic board but since you're so familiar with taking an iBook apart, you shouldn't have any problems with a 12" Powerbook.

Congrats on the new battery too. That's the first thing I do when I pick up a used laptop, check the the serial number to see if it qualifies for a new one :p.

Edit:
    N/M I found it :p excellent deal!

5. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Optical drive on a powerbook 12" OCguy? It is 46 terrible steps. Like taking apart three ibooks.

Plus nervous about the problem in the screen.

Reading up on it... it may be a short in a frayed cable and could eventually kill the logic board so...

I just can't believe you have to take apart the whole powerbook to get to the optical drive

6. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

I can confirm that this is definitely the case - I dove into a co-worker's PB without reading all of the ifixit steps...there were screws everywhere! :eek: Because of the way the different components are layered, the optical drive is basically the last thing left in the PB when you disassemble.

I did manage to get everything back together and the optical drive worked...however, I lost a few non-essential screws in the process.

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I'm going through a "project" right now replacing a 12"er's bottom case. It is a royal PIA!! Nearly everything has to be disassembled to get the optical drive out and even more for the screen. All the little yellow tape isn't fun either. I've given up trying to keep track of all the screws and just throwing them in a cup now. The HDD isn't that big a deal and I may upgrade that since I'm already in.

8. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

It's better to have lost them then to have extras left over. Oh well, at least now you have extra screws laying around for the next time you tear into it.

It's strange though because for me I actually like tearing through Apple's hardware. Makes me want to be on their design team and show them how to really design a laptop. :p

9. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

I sold it for more than I paid for it after taking it apart and seeing sand inside.

Lots of sand. Lots and lots of sand.

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You tell them you did the weight reduction mod? It weighed what 13lbs before and you more then halved it? :D

Just like in the stock market, buy low-sell high!

11. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

After the work of taking it apart, the fifteen dollars I made on it was not really buying low/selling high.

And I did clean out the sand before selling it.

Looked like someone buried it at the beach one day.

I am amazed at Apple's products. It still worked...

If Apple ends up sending me the new battery, though, I will have made some cash in the end. Turned out the original battery actually had a lot of life left in it, apres sand removal.