Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Chrispy said:
I would highly doubt that we will be seeing iBooks smaller than Powerbooks anytime soon.

I have to agree. The new ibooks are due any day with expected processor, ram, and hard disk bumps, but I doubt they will have a new form factor

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Now, about the RAM. I recommend buying some directly from Apple. Sure, call it expensive, but you know for sure that it will comply with your computer and, best of all, it will already be in there. I do not like opening up a computer at all! It took me all day to install my AirPort card, and I must have lifted 500 pounds that day! Well, laptops are lighter than my 50 pound iMac G3, but nevertheless, go ahead and buy the RAM from Apple.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The iBook is even bigger than the PB? So? Its small already.

I'm not a big man, but either product will be light. You won't be able to notice the 0.2 inch difference in thickness or whatever, nor the 0.3 lb difference in weight.

These things are tiny, so if you have a problem with either size or weight, either get yourself a bigger bag, or lift some weights. ;)

Seriously, how can size be an issue at this point? I walk 25 minutes to get to my Uni, and its mostly uphill. No problems so far.

And no, you won't notice the difference in power between the iBook and PB. The iBook is basically just a PB but 1 generation behind (and with a worse graphics card). You're not doing anything major. Even a 2 year old computer can do what you're asking.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Abstract said:
These things are tiny, so if you have a problem with either size or weight, either get yourself a bigger bag, or lift some weights. ;)

Seriously, how can size be an issue at this point? I walk 25 minutes to get to my Uni, and its mostly uphill. No problems so far.

I know laptops don't weigh that much. That would be sad if you couldn't lift five pounds. :) My computer, however, which is the iMac G3, weighs 50 pounds, and I must have lifted over 500 pounds when I tried installing my AirPort card. Also, my body hasn't stopped growing yet, and I haven't reached my body's physical peak.

DestructorOfIT

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2005
I've owned the 12" PB (1Ghz) for 18 Months.
I had a 12" iBook (600Mhz) before that for a year.

Both very nice computers.
iBook is much more rugged, cheaper & tad slower per Hz.
PB12 is neat lookin, does dual display (not Mirror) & is a tad faster.

I got the PB12 to burn dvd & do dual display. Was VERY happy with both computers.

You don't lose by taking the iBook unless you need something the iBook can't give.

I taco'd my PB12 slightly by dropping it. The loaner PB12 I have now (PB12 is in shop for HD replacement, then 4 things broke while it was being fixed) is also slightly warped -- this is such that it doesn't sit flat on a table. I treated my iBook far worse and it had no such problems.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
I prefer the look of the powerbook :D

I just think that if I'm goign to be spending all this money ( around 1500$ ) might as well get the better, faster model. I would definitely use the "spanning" feature but I am aware that there is a hack for the ibook.

Also, I really don't think the ibook is much cheaper: I'd be adding in an extra 512 mb ram, and hte 30 gb hard drive it comes with is way too small - I have like 11 gb of music, 5 gb pictures, and I have a lot of videos saved. The ram upgrade will cost me a lot of $$ and the hard drive upgrade to 80 gb is 195$ (canadian) !

I configured both machines, and with my education discount:
12" ibook, 60 gb hd, 768 mb ram ,bluetooth - 1542$ canadian
12" pb - 60 gb hd, 768 mb ram (bluetooth comes integrated) - 1775$
the difference is 233$ for:
1) Faster machine (1.2 ghz vs. 1.5 ghz) and more FSB
2) Faster hard drive (5400 rmp vs. 4200 rpm)
3) Smaller package
4) Better video card (although I probably won't ever be playing games, maybe like once every few weeks/months)

I think that this 233 $ is justified, but I know instead Ican max out the ram on the ibook with the $$ but it still won't be as zippy as the pb.

mleok

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2005
La Jolla, CA
iMacZealot said:
Now, about the RAM. I recommend buying some directly from Apple. Sure, call it expensive, but you know for sure that it will comply with your computer and, best of all, it will already be in there. I do not like opening up a computer at all! It took me all day to install my AirPort card, and I must have lifted 500 pounds that day! Well, laptops are lighter than my 50 pound iMac G3, but nevertheless, go ahead and buy the RAM from Apple.

That's silly, installing RAM in a Powerbook is a trivial exercise, you simply have to remove a small metal shield, pop in the RAM, and replace the shield, and you're good to go.

There's no real reason to be apprehensive about RAM compatibility if you purchase it from a Mac savvy distributor, just make sure that they explicitly guarantee compatibility with your Powerbook.

Installing RAM in an iBook is slightly more involved, but even that extra effort doesn't justify the exorbitant ($425 for a 1GB module on a PB and $500 on an iBook) RAM prices Apple charges. After all, it's not as if Apple makes their own RAM. You can get a 1GB SODIMM for less than $250.

dvdiva

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2005
The 12" powerbook just seems too much like the ibooks to recomend it. If it had a pc card slot that would be different but it doesn't. I got a 15" refurb and love it. True its only a 1.33 but the price was right. You could also save quite a bit by getting a ibook- just wait for the new models to ship since they should be coming out soon.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
mleok said:
That's silly, installing RAM in a Powerbook is a trivial exercise, you simply have to remove a small metal shield, pop in the RAM, and replace the shield, and you're good to go.

There's no real reason to be apprehensive about RAM compatibility if you purchase it from a Mac savvy distributor, just make sure that they explicitly guarantee compatibility with your Powerbook.

Installing RAM in an iBook is slightly more involved, but even that extra effort doesn't justify the exorbitant ($425 for a 1GB module on a PB and $500 on an iBook) RAM prices Apple charges. After all, it's not as if Apple makes their own RAM. You can get a 1GB SODIMM for less than $250.

I guess you're right. I guess I was thinking about my iMac G3 that day where it took me five hours and I lifted over 500 pounds to get in an AirPort card. I'm sure a laptop is MUCH easier. However, I would recommend getting the RAM from Apple so the RAM is pretty much guaranteed to work.

Now, onto the main problem. It sounds like the PowerBook is what you want and what you need. Furthermore, you have the money for one. However, you might want to check out the new iBooks first when they come out. Who knows if the iBook will outshine the PowerBook. Chances are it probably won't, but I would still check it out.

TheMdude

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2005
I am also going to need a Powerbook for college next year. Does anyone know when Apple might start using the dual core e600's (the both logical and feasible next step) in the Powerbooks? I really don't want to shell out $1800 for a current generation Powerbook, the performance just isn't good enough, and this is gonna have to last me all through college. iBook is also not an option because I'm going to have to run architecture software that will require the extra processing power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.