12" Powerbook (ppc) upgrading 10.4 --> 10.5 *Questions!*

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anyafloris, Jun 30, 2010.

1. anyafloris macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I know there are many topics addressing this upgrade (as well as many other web resources) but I am picky and specific, and I haven't been able to find exactly what I want to know, haha.

Specs: 12" Aluminum Powerbook G4, PPC, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD. (as you can see, nothing changed from 2005...)

I am currently running 10.4, but I think I would like to upgrade to 10.5.

Questions:

1. Should I upgrade to 10.5 when 10.4 has such a stable reputation and has always run well for me?

2. Has anyone had trouble running 10.5 with 512 MB RAM?

3. Do I need to upgrade hardware (ram, hd) for 10.5 to run smoothly? (tight budget...)

4. What upgrade option is the cleanest? (archive, erase, etc...)

I really want to go about this the right way since this computer has survived 5 years, two spills, and still runs beautifully!

Thank you in advance!

2. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Honestly, I wouldn't upgrade to Leopard, especially since you say Tiger is working just fine for you.

I upgraded a friend's Core Duo MacBook Pro, and it was noticeably sluggish with Leopard. He ended up going back to Tiger.

I can't speak about the RAM, since he had 2GB of RAM, not 512MB. I would put any money you have for upgrades toward saving for a new computer, and ride out the 12" PB as long as you can.