12" PowerBook problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ashapalan, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Imhaving a minor issue with my PowerBook, I think its pretty much given up on life. Its 2 and a half years old now, and yesterday whilst running a screensaver on a 19" external with leopard it just froze:(. I turned it off (power button) and when i turn it back on it never gets as far as the log in window. I personally think that the graphics card has gone on it.

I have tried everything, including resetting the p ram, command v etc, the hard drive is fine.

The weird thing is that when it gets to the point in boot up where you would expect the login window to appear, if you roll the mouse over where you expect the password input to be the mouse changes from the normal cursor into the text cursor. So i think the mac is simply not displaying the interface on the screen but that it is there...

I am taking it to a genius bar tonight
    and hopefully that will shed some light but thought I would post here to see if anyone has seen or heard of this problem before. Does it sound like I have a broken graphics card?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice:)
    And thank goodness for edge and my iPhone!

2. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Sorry to hear about that. I'm hanging to a 1ghz 12in Powerbook myself.

You could also try removing any extra RAM you have installed or booting from the Leopard DVD. If you bought Applecare, then try running Techtool and see what comes up. Your suggestion that it's a graphics card issue seems reasonable. Good luck and post back with your results.

3. Ashapalan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay a genius bar session later,
    Graphics video ram has broken/damaged

I can boot into panther but screen has lines down it and you can't do anything that is graphical, even scrolling down a webpage isnt possible:)

The error code on the hardware test is 2NYD/1/4:2122

So its looking bleak, does anyone know if the graphics card can be replaced? It seems such a shame for an otherwise fine mac to be chucked just because some of the video ram has given up the game:(

So yeh, thats the problem/ here's hoping for a solution!

4. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I'm not completely sure, but from what I remember the Graphics Cards on the iBook/PowerBooks were not integrated.
    Meaning you could try and look for spare ones on Ebay?

5. Ashapalan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just ordered a mac mini to replace it :)

feels weird to be leaving the G4 land :) - it's been good.