12" Powerbook RAM

NZDave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2004
Seattle, WA, Yeah!
My friend just got a 1GHz 12" Powerbook G4. Right now it only has 256MB of ram, which I understand is PC2100. I have a stick of PC2700 ram from my 15" Powerbook that I was going to sell him, but I wanted to check if it'd be compatible. At first, I was pretty skeptical, but looking on crucial.com they claim that a 1GB stick of PC2700 will work, so would a 256MB stick work too?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
From the latest 12" manual:
Installing Additional Memory

Your computer comes with one memory slot that you access by turning your computer over and removing the four screws that secure the memory slot door. Your computer comes with 256 megabytes (MB) of Double Data Rate (DDR) Synchronous Dynamic Random-Access Memory (SDRAM) installed on the logic board. The memory slot can accept an SDRAM module that meets the following specifications:
  • Double Data Rate Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (DDR SO-DIMM) format
  • 1.25 inch or smaller
  • 256, 512 MB, or 1 gigabyte (GB)
  • 200-pin
  • PC2700 DDR 333 Type RAM
The maximum amount of memory you can install in your PowerBook is 1.25 GB, using one 1 GB DIMM in the memory slot.
Your RAM should be fine. You can always try it to be sure and run a hardware test on it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.