12'' Powerbook running HOT/fast fan RPM's since moving to 23'' Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macnvrbck, Apr 14, 2008.

1. macnvrbck macrumors regular

I just moved from a 20'' monitor to a Apple 23'' ACD:D and since the move my Powerbook is running HOT and the fans are moving like I'm never heard or seen.

I don't have exact number in front of me here but when watching video online the GPU temperature on iStat reaches 170-180 degrees and the RPM hits over 8000. Is this normal for the other 12'' Powerbook users with the 23'' ACD out there?

My little baby is SCREAMING along but I've never heard fan speeds like this. Anyway I can cool it down?

Are these normal temps/speeds? When should I start getting really worried?

(No, I do not want a MacBook. ;))

2. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Hmm... it should have to work a bit harder in order to drive the higher resolution monitor, but it should not be that much hotter. Check your CPU usage in Activity Monitor.

Does it get that hot only under certain circumstances (watching high-def video, for example), or is it always like that?

3. Mark-Mac-Attack macrumors regular

i have this same problem since attaching a display, really could do with the answer as to why :confused:

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Mine is attached to a 17" Dell (see sig), and I haven't had this problem. Run temperature monitoring software that shows the limits for the machine and see how close you are to those limits.

Also, as previously mentioned, check the CPU load during that same time.

Make sure you are NOT using the laptop in clamshell mode (i.e. closed lid), and that the surface underneath it doesn't trap heat.