12 powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Tibs066, May 8, 2007.

1. Tibs066 macrumors member

:confused: I bought a pretty banged up powerbook for pretty cheap off of ebay cause i have always wanted one. My delima is that i want it to look somewhat presentable, therefore i want to replace the bottom case of it and wanted to know if a bottom case from any of the AL 12 powerbooks wouldwork or not. If they do please let me know where would be the bestplace to look for this specific part.:confused:

2. Kendall015 macrumors regular

I had to replace the bottom because my computer was dropped, so i can answer a couple of your questions. First, I think that Rev. A powerbooks have a different bottom case, but from Rev. B on it was the same case. I found the part online, and paid about $300 3 years ago for it, so I know it exists and is very expensive. One thing that you should know is that it is really hard to replace the bottom case because the logic board, optical drive, HD, keyboard and everything else are attached to the bottom, so you basically have to do a complete transplant of the innards. I didn't have the skills, so I had to bring it to a specialty Mac repair shop to do it, which cost a ton in labor.

3. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

I'm actually having mine replaced as we speak. It's costing me £210 for the whole job, which includes 2 hours labour at £50 an hour, the rest of the money is for the bottom case. So, basically about £110 for the bottom not including labour.

4. Tibs066 thread starter macrumors member

Powerbook

I very much appreciate the help thus far from you. I found on on ebay that is AL 867 would that be different from the 1.0 or the 1.33. Also where did you find those parts you got.
    Thanks Brian

5. Tibs066 thread starter macrumors member

Powerbook

I have found the top case and the new keyboard so easily. The problem now is that i can not find a good used bottom case anywhere anyone have any ideas the best place to find this little beauty.

6. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

http://www.ifixit.com/Categories/Aluminum-12-Inch/53

just go to cases and component, pick your speed, and you're ready to rock and ROLL!

--D Money--