12" Retina MacBook will not turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Apples n' Stone, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Apples n' Stone macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

My 1.2 GHz 512GB MacBook will not power up, I have just got home and it did seem a bit cold. Not cold enough for any damage but cold. It would not power up so I plugged it in and it made the charging sound. So It seems to still be working, tried a power cycle and no joy. Any ideas? Need it running for A-Levels tomorrow... thanks
    -Stone

2. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Try holding down the "Power" key for a good 30+ seconds, next up would be try an SMC Reset. Once the SMC resets you should see the charging image on the display. Notebook will then boot normally, after this it gets trickier; is it charged, is the charger and to cable good, now we are down to hardware.

Q-6

3. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

No Joy, tried them again ... :/

4. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

The SMC reset on the rMB seems a little more difficult to achieve, like it`s more sensitive to the timing, have seen some post reflecting the same. I tried resetting my rMB out of curiosity and it took a couple of goes to get it right.

Anybody else have another rMB to try the power pack and cable? Number "1" question right now is are you backed up?, the computer you can live with going down, the data not so.

Q-6

5. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

I remember reading you had a previous issue with your MacBook. I would take it in to the Apple store and get it looked at, as you need it up and running for exams etc.

6. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

Yes, that was me! I have been talking with a chat rep and it seems to be fine now... last time that just turned out to be the three pins on the charger wall plug which I got replaced for free

7. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

As your average insanely paranoid student I have it all backed up, iCloud Drive, USB Stick, time capsule, downloaded and stored locally on my MacBook Pro when I get home... I just have to be sure of these things!

But all seems okay now, diagnostics found nothing. But I will keep an eye on it, the machine is the best I have ever had when it works. and taking into account my exams, I have not seen anyone on the forum seem so genuinely concerned before!

Thank you, all sorted now (admins can close this thread if they like)

8. kotty macrumors member

9. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Obvious question that may help others in the same situation, what worked, how did you restart the Notebook.

Q-6

10. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

Honestly, after trying to start it with a long press (30 seconds) followed by hitting the power button and (COMMAND+OPTION/ALT/P+R) we had nothing. then after trying to hold the power button for about twenty seconds it just started as normal. Weird but glad it works!

11. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

this happens to my 2016 MB ... im using it then suddenly it shuts off...and wont open after that...
    i re plug the charger but no charging sound.... tried SMC reset .. and it works ....

i dunno what happened

12. willzude macrumors newbie

How did you fix the problem? I am facing the same issue and need the computer for school. Thanks.

13. Hamster89 macrumors newbie

Hamster89

--- Post Merged, Nov 19, 2017 ---
    Hello wondering what exactly you did to reset the smc on the macbook 12 , I cant seem to have luck sometimes it works otherwise it doesn’t , can You describe the best method to reset smc on the 12 inch MacBook

14. Marcopolo53 macrumors regular

Macbook SMC Reset

Power Down, plugin adapter

Hold Shift, Control, Option and Power Button

Hold combination for 10 seconds and release

Power button to power up

15. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Same as posted in #14

16. cursedearth macrumors member

Old topic but just wanted to share my experience as well.

Last night my Macbook 12" started doing the same thing. I had used it 30 mins prior to it completely switching off. After 30 mins, I tried switching it on but it was showing the low battery image so I proceeded to connect my charger but it wouldn't charge. Changed the wall socket and everything but I could feel the static on fingers so knew the charger was fine. I read online to reset the SMC which I did but after doing that the low battery imagine wouldn't appear either.

Tried everything you tried but to no avail. I was about to plan a trip to the Apple Store but I wasn't ready to drop a bomb on repairs because I knew it'd be expensive (it's a 2015 model, so out of warranty). Figured it was a failed logic board that might need replacing courtesy of Google search.

Anyways cutting to the chase, today I got into work with my laptop and charger, charged it up and tried switching it on and resetting the SMC, holding the power button but no dice. I'm not sure what I did but it just magically turned on again. The batter was at 0% but it's fully charged now. Tried switching it off and back on again and it works fine.

I've never experienced a product dying and resurrecting itself again back to flawless working condition 24 hours later. I really want to know why this happened. I wish Apple would give a statement on this.

17. Marcopolo53 macrumors regular

It kind sounds like a hardware issue. Only Apple would be able to determine if it really is that.

18. cursedearth macrumors member

I'm not sure it is. Laptop's been working completely fine since yesterday. Showed the same symptoms as the OP's laptop.

19. Marcopolo53 macrumors regular

Same symptoms, same issue. Can only be sure by having it looked at by Apple. If you can live with an unreliable machine that works on and off then . . . ?

20. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Glad you got it sorted, though as you say what happened is a bit unclear! As described you reset SMC with it switched on....which you can't do. SMC reset is done with it powered off.

I had a similar incident with my 2016 12" MacBook. It just would not start up. Dead as a do-do. I rang Applecare who had me reset the SMC and it came to life. This happened nearly a year ago and has not happened since.

(It wasn't battery as it had been on charge and immediately after the problem it was 90%).