12" Retina MacBook will not turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Apples n' Stone, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

My 1.2 GHz 512GB MacBook will not power up, I have just got home and it did seem a bit cold. Not cold enough for any damage but cold. It would not power up so I plugged it in and it made the charging sound. So It seems to still be working, tried a power cycle and no joy. Any ideas? Need it running for A-Levels tomorrow... thanks
    -Stone

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Try holding down the "Power" key for a good 30+ seconds, next up would be try an SMC Reset. Once the SMC resets you should see the charging image on the display. Notebook will then boot normally, after this it gets trickier; is it charged, is the charger and to cable good, now we are down to hardware.

Q-6

3. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

No Joy, tried them again ... :/

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

The SMC reset on the rMB seems a little more difficult to achieve, like it`s more sensitive to the timing, have seen some post reflecting the same. I tried resetting my rMB out of curiosity and it took a couple of goes to get it right.

Anybody else have another rMB to try the power pack and cable? Number "1" question right now is are you backed up?, the computer you can live with going down, the data not so.

Q-6

5. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

I remember reading you had a previous issue with your MacBook. I would take it in to the Apple store and get it looked at, as you need it up and running for exams etc.

6. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

Yes, that was me! I have been talking with a chat rep and it seems to be fine now... last time that just turned out to be the three pins on the charger wall plug which I got replaced for free

7. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

As your average insanely paranoid student I have it all backed up, iCloud Drive, USB Stick, time capsule, downloaded and stored locally on my MacBook Pro when I get home... I just have to be sure of these things!

But all seems okay now, diagnostics found nothing. But I will keep an eye on it, the machine is the best I have ever had when it works. and taking into account my exams, I have not seen anyone on the forum seem so genuinely concerned before!

Thank you, all sorted now (admins can close this thread if they like)

8. kotty macrumors member

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Obvious question that may help others in the same situation, what worked, how did you restart the Notebook.

Q-6

10. Apples n' Stone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

Honestly, after trying to start it with a long press (30 seconds) followed by hitting the power button and (COMMAND+OPTION/ALT/P+R) we had nothing. then after trying to hold the power button for about twenty seconds it just started as normal. Weird but glad it works!

11. mackie8 macrumors 6502

this happens to my 2016 MB ... im using it then suddenly it shuts off...and wont open after that...
    i re plug the charger but no charging sound.... tried SMC reset .. and it works ....

i dunno what happened

12. willzude macrumors newbie

How did you fix the problem? I am facing the same issue and need the computer for school. Thanks.