12" Retina MacBook - Windows 10 - Never Use OSX - Update Question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by boltjames, Dec 28, 2015.

1. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Like the title says, I never use OSX, I use Boot Camp, it boots straight to Windows 10 every time, the RMB is the best notebook I've ever owned for Windows, extremely happy.

Question is, do I have to pay any attention to OSX at all? Namely, when there is an OSX update do I need to run it and install it just to keep the Windows side strong or can I just ignore OSX entirely, updates and all?

I believe El Capitan is out now, not sure if I must install it and maintain it in order to keep my awesomely stable Windows 10 experience via Boot Camp awesome and stable.

TIA

BJ

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Nope you can continue to boot to Windows just fine.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No, if Windows is running the way you want it to, there is little reason to change anything.

4. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

Fantastic, thanks for the quick responses.

I was just concerned that if Boot Camp "sits" atop OSX that if there was a change to OSX it might trip Boot Camp somehow. Or, perhaps, an update for Boot Camp over on the Windows side would not work properly because the underlying OSX wasn't running El Capitan or something.

It's my first Mac experience with Windows, thus the naivety.

BJ

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Boot camp is just a utility to allow Windows to first be setup and configured. Once it's run really it's redundant.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The only time you would need to use OS X in any capacity is if Apple were to push a firmware update for the Retina MacBook through Software Update. These are solely available from within OS X in the Mac App Store.

7. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

If a "Windows 11" ever comes out out, you might need to use Bootcamp on OS X to get new utilities to update drivers, etc. Supposedly Windows is moving to rolling updates though and that won't be an issue. Regardless, it's not something you'd have to think about for 3-5 years.

What's your battery life like on Windows 24/7 ?