12" rMB Battery Capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sydryx, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Sydryx macrumors member

For those of you that were early adopters of the rMB, how is your battery capacity holding up? I noticed my run time has taken a sharp dive over the past couple of months. Thought I was just using it more, but I ran some non-scientific tests and even at baseline it's no where near where it was when I first received it.

coconutBattery has me at 82.5% designed capacity with only 141 load cycles. Obviously I expected some reduction over time, but this seems low to me given that it's supposed to hold 80% after 1000 load cycles according to Apple...

2. seifer48 macrumors newbie

I got my 1.2GHz 512GB the week after launch from BestBuy. Its capacity has been all over the place like a roller coaster. I was freaking out about it at first because it was dropping to ~90-95% within a week or two of ownership and the charge count seems to increase by 1 every single time I unplug it and replug in it, rather than having a full charge/discharge cycle. I haven't worried about it much since then and it seems to have stabilized around 89% or so. Its gone as low as 80% and as high as 98% in the last 2 weeks. Currently sitting at 88% with 147 charge cycles.

3. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

This is what BatteryHealth is reporting:

Current Charge: 4065/4775 (89%)
    Health
    Current Max: 4775 mAh
    Original Max: 5297 mAh
    Health: 90%
    OS X Health Status: Good​
    Time Remaining
    Current Usage: 5h32m
    Internet Browsing: 4h20m
    Music: 3h53m
    Movies: 1h52m
    Standby 24d0h6m​
    Details
    Cycles: 131
    Manufacture Date: Apr 10, 2015
    Temperature: 30.6 C/87.1 F
    Power Usage: 6.2 Watts
    mAh Usage (realtime): 794 mAh​

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

There is already an entire thread devoted to this topic. I will say if you have not drained the battery to below 10% in a long time, do that a couple of times, while recharging it back fully. Mine was dropping into the mid-80's and doing the above has stabilized it at about 91% for a couple months now.

5. geraldem macrumors regular

This topic might be the only issue why i keep considering taking my rMB back (2 days left on return period). The device itself is nice. Some things take getting used to....ie the keyboard..etc. But this battery capacity situation is very troubling. Mine has only 10 cycles but I am already at 94%. It goes down every day and I have noticed less battery life from week to week. From what I can tell, this is an issue with this device and not a prevalent with the Pros. So considering taking back and getting the 13MBP.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It may or may not be an issue. We really don't know. There are a number of people here who have battery capacities in the high 80's to low 90's after most of a year, but few significantly lower than that. With the latest El Capitan update power consumption is now back to the lowest levels I've ever seen, so I still get an easy 8-10 hours of usage, so I don't really care if 10% of indicated capacity is gone. Apple has a warranty that covers it if it gets significantly worse. Certainly not worth switching to a computer nearly double the volume and weight over this issue alone.

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

95.5% after 10 months, I use it on battery when I need to, nor do I leave it plugged in indefinitely. My rMB is used in a business and engineering role, seeing between 6-10 hours of run time on battery dependant on usage, more often than not exceeding 8 hours.

For the most part as the battery presents no issue I just ignore it, with the exception of running Coconutbattery as it can display in real time power consumption, which can be useful if you need to push the notebook on battery for extended periods.

FWIW OS X 10.10.4

Q-6

8. noobinator macrumors 601

I refuse to even look at this data lol

Ignorance is bliss! (And the data doesn't tell the whole accurate story)

9. David58117 macrumors 65816

With the same use, same items open in the force close window?

Have you checked activity monitor to check what's causing the spikes?

Could be a stray application.