12": selling m3 for new m7?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by caelius, Dec 30, 2016.

1. caelius macrumors regular

caelius

Hello,

I bought my 12" rMB (m3 base model) a couple of months ago, but since I've recently started gaming a bit now and then (nothing too heavy, mainly World of Warcraft), it now seems a bit... anemic.

Thereforce, I'm contemplating selling my m3 and get a maxed-out m7 instead. I know, it won't be nowhere near 'powerful' either, but well, I'm hoping for a step up, still. Now, what do you guys think? Is there any noticeable difference in real-world performance? The internet says something about ~10%, depending on the cooling - but how about reality? Would it be a worthwhile upgrade?

I've considered a maxed-out 13" MBP TB, too, since it would be another league, really, but I don't know - it just seems way less portable and also the battery life doesn't really convince me - I mean, it's nearly the same capacity, but with a 28W CPU instead of a 4,5W etc. Also, I love the fan-less design. Another option would be waiting for an upgraded 12", but I dunno if Kaby Lake is going to have a major impact. So...

Money isn't a huge decision factor, really, if it would make a noticeable difference. I don't want to spend it for nothing at all, still.

Thanks a lot. :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're looking to game, I think the MacBook is a poor choice, regardless of what processor you choose. Obviously you'll see an improvement in the M7 over the M3, but to use your words, your user experience will still be anemic.