12" super powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rei101, Oct 16, 2013.

1. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Hi

I was visiting home and I saw the 12" Powerbook I gave to my mom a few years ago collecting dust on a shelve. I power it up and ran just fine. It is from 2004!

Now... what upgrades can I add it? Whats the best OS I can use with it?

Would one of those hybrid flash/hard drive work?

I am planing to take it with me to the US and give it a second life. The Wi-Fi reception is amazing. The screen looks just fine.

Lets see.

2. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

- Memory can be upgraded.
    - There are IDE SSD disks which probably work with the machine, I think I've seen some users here who claim in their signature that they have those, if so, SSD would be upgrade and if it does not yield massive speed improvements (it is still 2004 machine) it atleast makes the machine quieter.
    - Most recent OS for PPC Macs is 10.5.8, it is however more resource intesive than 10.4.11 and those both are now unsupported by Apple so it is difficult to judge which one is better in overall. 10.5.8 has the Time Machine and Spaces so if you value those features a lot then go for it.

3. wobegong Guest

The thing with an SSD is not so much transfer speed (which is bus speed dependent) but access time and latency. As such it should make a very significant difference to the speed of the machine overall in day to day running. Way back when I upgraded my old PB drive to a 7200rpm one and it made a big difference.

4. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

A SSD will give you speed improvements, but only the right ones. You find a lot of crap on the market. I tried one out and it turned out that it was not much faster than a traditional HD. The best and fastest solution would be an 1,8" SATA SSD with a SATA to IDE adapter. You can search Macrumors. 2 weeks ago there was a thread about that.

Bu sure to max out RAM. 2004 Powerbook models support 1,5 GB of RAM if I'm not mistaken. (I have one but I don't remember.)

Leopard (10.5.8) is faster than Tiger (10.4.11). Graphics support is significantly better. However, Time Machine and Spotlight can slow your computer down. Luckily there are ways to disable them. There is also an app that removes all intel-related code. Application loading times will be improved after that.

5. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Also a good idea is to disable Dashboard and the widgets. If you want to.

Dashboard can be a real drain at times.