12 vs 14 Which is a better buy??

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Let's say money isn't an issue. Judging from the latest revision, which iBook do you think is the best buy? Why? Just curious since I'm trying to figure this out myself.

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Peter Griffin said:
Let's say money isn't an issue. Judging from the latest revision, which iBook do you think is the best buy? Why? Just curious since I'm trying to figure this out myself.
Unless it is your main/only computer; 12". If you already have a nice desktop PC/Mac there's no reason to want a desktop type replacement, much better to go for the portability.

neoelectronaut

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2003
New Orleans, LA
I'm going to say 12"

The 14"'s minimal processor upgrade is something you won't exactly notice, and they both only have a max resolution of 1024x768.

It all comes down to whether you really need a DVD burner or not.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
It's all about if you need to burn DVDs in the future, or would like to have peace of mind incase you EVER need to burn a DVD. I just bought the computer in my sig (G4 1.42GHz iBook) and since purchase I've burned 6 DVDs very fast and accurate!

It all comes down to the SuperDrive, really.
Because the extra 90MHz isn't worth the money.

Hope that helps!! :)

BTW, use the search fuction, there have been MANY posts about this. :)

EDIT: neoelectronaut beat me to it :(

neoelectronaut

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2003
New Orleans, LA
lilstewart92 said:
It's all about if you need to burn DVDs in the future, or would like to have peace of mind incase you EVER need to burn a DVD. I just bought the computer in my sig (G4 1.42GHz iBook) and since purchase I've burned 6 DVDs very fast and accurate!

It all comes down to the SuperDrive, really.
Because the extra 90MHz isn't worth the money.

Hope that helps!! :)

BTW, use the search fuction, there have been MANY posts about this. :)

EDIT: neoelectronaut beat me to it :(
Heh. I was planning on picking up an iMac G5 soon, but I've changed my mind to an iBook 12". I'll keep around the eMac for DVD purposes. :)

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
To me, it doesn't seem right that Apple won't offer a higher resolution on the 14". That is the only reason I would hesitate to choose it over the more portable 12".

gregorydanger

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2004
Michigan
Go to an Apple store and compare both models side-by-side -- that's really the best way to judge which model, for you, is a better buy.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Well this will be my primary machine...

I don't really have a need for the Superdrive but as someone said earlier it is good to know that it'll always be there.

I'm leaning towards the 12 inch since it offers the same resolution in a mroe compact case. The onyl reason why I'm so hesitant is because the 14 inch looks like a better bargain. What do you think?

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Great MR name Peter ;) I say check it out in person if you can. The 12" is more portable but after using this 14" screen for awhile I actually find the 12" screens to be too small for me anymore. It really just depends on your preference.

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...most seem to say go for the 12" and I don't necessarily disagree but I will say that you should *look* first...even though the screen on the 14" runs at the same rez as the 12" to some people this is an advantage if their eyesight is slightly "gone." People in here sometimes harp on about the resolutions of Apple's laptops (and personally, I'd buy one with a higher rez) but I can tell you that where I work supporting a large network of computers I am most often asked to "make everything bigger" - very very few seem to want to run their computers at the native resolution...this is of course not an absolute, but something to keep in mind - look at what works for *you*....oh yeah!

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
If you don't need the superdrive you can order it BTO without one and save $100 (90 edu).

Take into account the difference in the hard drive sizes ($50/$45) and you'll find that the 14" is $150 ($115 edu) more than the 12". For that you get:

a minimally faster computer. And a larger screen.

So with the 12" you get:

a lighter, more portable computer, and $150 or $115.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
I've just put down an order for the 12 inch....Someone please tell me I made the right decision :)

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
miloblithe said:
I've had a 12" iBook for over 4 years, and I've never liked a computer more.
Do your eyes ever feel strained from using a 12 inch screen for long periods of time?

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Peter Griffin said:
I've just put down an order for the 12 inch....Someone please tell me I made the right decision
^^^ he wanted this...

Not this: :rolleyes:
gwuMACaddict said:
how many times are we gonna hash out the 12 vs 14...?

get the 14, the 12 is too small for comfort, in my opinion
:rolleyes:

godbout

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
Montreal, Canada
I think that you made the right decision! Both are awesome, both are great deals. Everyone has thier opinions about whether the 14" screen is too big for 1024X768 but if you are used to looking at a regular 15" or even 17" LCD on a desktop that is what many of them run. If you feel that you need a dvd burner you can always grab a Firewire/USB 2.0 one they are becoming dirt cheap. Also if you would like a bigger screen save up and get a nice ACD :D (or some other less expensive LCD) and then you have the best of both worlds! I have had the iBook in my sig for 5 years and it is a great little machine. You can bring it everywhere and even if you beat the tar out of it, it will be no worse for the wear. Good Luck with your purchase!

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
You will love your purchase either way. I've had tons of Macs, and the iBook is the best (maybe tying with my G4 iMac). We use all kinds of Macs at work, but I've found the iBook to be a great, well-designed, rugged machine. You may want to max out the memory like I did. It makes everything run _really_ smoothly. You'll also dig the battery life and the wifi reception. It's great. Enjoy.

ph0rk

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
SWVA
Peter Griffin said:

Remember the laptop superdrives still aren't DL; for less than the price difference between the 12" and the 14" you can get an external DL burner (and make backups of 9GB DVDs). And, if you feel the need to copy a DVD while out and about, just make an image and burn it when you get home.

And, assuming your eyes are fine, the 14" screen is a waste, imho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.