Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
Hi. I want to upgrade my hard drive and I want a 120 gig drive because i could use the storage. I was going to get a 5400 RpM one because that's all I can find but because of this post, I want a 120 GB 7200 RPM drive for my Powerbook but I can't find one anywhere. Any help would be nice.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
Looking everywhere. Can't find a 120 or 160 gig 7200RPM hard drive in a 2.5 inch size anywhere. Please help.:eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Does any brand make 120 or 160 gig 7200 rpm drives? 160 gig, 7200 rpm is a build to order option on the macbook pro.

That's what CanadaRAM is saying... the iBook and Powerbook use Parallel ATA (PATA) drives, whereas the Macbook and MBP use Serial ATA (SATA) drives. The SATA drives are readily available in the larger sizes, but the PATA are not. I looked around earlier when I saw your thread the first time, and I also cannot find any >100GB PATA 2.5" drives. There's no workaround to put a SATA drive inside the PB, as far as I know. So your best bet, if you really want an internal, is to settle for the 100GB/7200....

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
That's what CanadaRAM is saying... the iBook and Powerbook use Parallel ATA (PATA) drives, whereas the Macbook and MBP use Serial ATA (SATA) drives. The SATA drives are readily available in the larger sizes, but the PATA are not. I looked around earlier when I saw your thread the first time, and I also cannot find any >100GB PATA 2.5" drives. There's no workaround to put a SATA drive inside the PB, as far as I know. So your best bet, if you really want an internal, is to settle for the 100GB/7200....

Awesome... Didn't see that the MBP was a SATA drive. Next question is would 5400 rpm with maxed-out ram (1.25 ghz) be noticeably faster? (I have 4200 rpm; 768 Mgz RAM now)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Awesome... Didn't see that the MBP was a SATA drive. Next question is would 5400 rpm with maxed-out ram (1.25 ghz) be noticeably faster? (I have 4200 rpm; 768 Mgz RAM now)

1.25 giga*bytes* (GB) not gigahertz. ;)

The easiest way to tell would be to run the Activity Monitor program, look at the memory usage tab, and at the bottom, the page-outs. If this number is large, and if it is increasing from day to day (it resets on reboot, though), then your computer can benefit from more memory. :)

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
1.25 giga*bytes* (GB) not gigahertz. ;)

The easiest way to tell would be to run the Activity Monitor program, look at the memory usage tab, and at the bottom, the page-outs. If this number is large, and if it is increasing from day to day (it resets on reboot, though), then your computer can benefit from more memory. :)

Probably yet another silly question but is 229,169/66,735 bad? Also would a higher RPM HDD do anything?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Probably yet another silly question but is 229,169/66,735 bad? Also would a higher RPM HDD do anything?

You only care about the second number (page-outs). Depends on how long your up time is. Probably you'd benefit from more RAM. One way to be sure is to reboot the computer and then check back in a couple of days or at the end of the day.

However, my guess is, yes, you'd benefit from more memory. As a point of reference, my iMac G5 / 2.0 GHz has 1.5 GB of RAM, and having been up without reboot for 7 days, 22 hours, it has 274 page-outs. ;) I.E., it has plenty of RAM for my use.

Upgrading your HD RPMs will speed up your computer, but the RAM issue is an independent one. With 66,000 page-outs, unless your computer has been on for months without reboot, I would guess the RAM would make a bigger difference for you.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Upgrading your HD RPMs will speed up your computer, but the RAM issue is an independent one. With 66,000 page-outs, unless your computer has been on for months without reboot, I would guess the RAM would make a bigger difference for you.

I'm on a C2D 2.33 ghz with 2gb. Been up for a little over 10 days and have 24704 pages out and 100mb of free RAM left. I've got plenty of ram, it's just time to restart the computer.

Also, I think that some torrent programs running nonstop for 10 days are the culprits of such high page outs, um... so I hear.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
However, my guess is, yes, you'd benefit from more memory. As a point of reference, my iMac G5 / 2.0 GHz has 1.5 GB of RAM, and having been up without reboot for 7 days, 22 hours, it has 274 page-outs. ;) I.E., it has plenty of RAM for my use.

I've been up 12+ days on my 1.33GHz PowerBook G4 running Tiger w/1.25GB RAM, and I'm at 3000+ page outs. I need to do some cleanup methinks.

I'd get an external firewire drive if I needed that much extra space on my PowerBook. 2.5" drives are pretty expensive compared to 3.5" drives...

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
You only care about the second number (page-outs). Depends on how long your up time is. Probably you'd benefit from more RAM. One way to be sure is to reboot the computer and then check back in a couple of days or at the end of the day.

Awesome... Thank you! It's been 9 days and 20 hours without a reboot so I just bought a gig of ram because 66,000+ outs sounds like a lot. That'll put me at 1.25 gigs of ram. (I get confused with gigahertz/gigabytes...) Don't know if i'll up the HD. Doesn't sound like it'll increase speed too greatly but I could use more HD space. (By the way, is there anywhere that says what RPM I have now. It's the stock drive from when i bought this 12" Powerbook in August 2004.)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If this is the Powerbook G4/1.33GHz with the 60GB HD, I think it's 4200 RPM. I don't know of any easy to tell directly from the system, although if you do Apple menu -> About this Mac -> More info -> ATA (on the left side of the system profiler), you'll get a model number and brand for the drive, and you can Google it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.