120 vs 160 hard drive for MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by newmacguy88, Jun 11, 2007.

1. newmacguy88 macrumors member

I was curious if it is worth it to pay $67(student discount) to go from 120GB hard drive to 160GB hard drive on the low end 15in MBP. I will be a college student in the fall. I have a ton of music and photos I'll mostly be writing papers, surfing the web, etc. I do a lot of artwork, so I might consider getting something like photoshop elements in the future.

Thanks for any advice :)

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Based on what you plan to do with your computer, I would definitely get the upgrade. It does not cost very much, and trust me, that extra space will come in handy some day :)

Especially if you get into video at all, I made a home movie last night that is less than 3 minutes and it took up a gig and a half of space :eek: Get the upgrade, you will be glad you did :)

3. TimJim macrumors 6502a

well how much music and pictures do you have. just look on your computer and see if you need the 160.

4. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I got the upgrade and I love having the extra space. You'd need to get an external hard drive to back up everything, cuz even 160gb can get filled up.

5. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Always get more than you think you need... Within your budget of course. My MBP has 120gigs and I never thought that I'd use it up. But as of now, only 6gigs remaining :(

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

The more HDD space you have, the longer your computer will last, before you need to start deleting things or re-arranging stuff.

If your HDD gets really full too, your computer will slow down a bit, so adding a 160GB drive would be useful to stop a slow-down of your system, along with slightly longer longevity.

And I bet your computer has taken a performance hit because of it too...

7. tango554 macrumors member

I think this answers your question. :)

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

For the small difference in price, go with the 160GB HDD. :)

9. newmacguy88 thread starter macrumors member

thanks everyone, I appreciate your advice :) :apple::cool:

I'm ordering it in like 2 weeks. Decided to get the matte screen instead of glossy, I don't like the reflections.

10. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

very good decisions you made. the glossy is interesting, but the glare for me is killer. 120 to 160Gb is about $70 so you really can't go wrong there.

11. newmacguy88 thread starter macrumors member

I went to the Apple store because I wanted to see the difference for myself. The matte screen now that they updated to the LED is actually REALLY nice. I think it would actually be nicer to watch movies on a matte screen than the glossy.

Another big factor for me was screen size. I love the blackbook, but when I saw it in person, I really thought it was too small(for me! it may be perfect for you)

I'm thinking about getting one of those cooling fans for underneath the mbp when it is on a flat surface. A teacher of mine had one of these and it seemed to keep the temps down. Anyone ever used one?

12. tango554 macrumors member

Never used one, but is it necessary? What do you think about the griffin elevator? Your back and neck wouldn't be strained and it would help keep your computer cool.