Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
Are there any 120fps cameras out there that can do 1080?

I am looking to replace my canon t2i with something that has better slo mo rather than the 720/60fps

Doesn't have to be a DSLR.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
what are your plans for the footage? You could get a Gopro hero 3+ black; that does 720p @ 120ftps

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Are there any 120fps cameras out there that can do 1080?

I am looking to replace my canon t2i with something that has better slo mo rather than the 720/60fps

Doesn't have to be a DSLR.

The sony FS700.

You're not going to get 120fps at 1080 in the t2i price range though.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
what are your plans for the footage? You could get a Gopro hero 3+ black; that does 720p @ 120ftps
This and
The sony FS700.

You're not going to get 120fps at 1080 in the t2i price range though.

That^^

GoPro is a pretty good option. I use GoPro's quite a bit and while I never considered using them as a regular high speed camera in good light you can get some insane slow motion with 120fps at 720p and it'll scale reasonably well to 1080p in decent light (in perfect light it'll only appear slightly softer), I don't consider resolution to be super important for high speed shots since I won't be shooting an entire thing at 120fps. Also if you get the GoPro you have more creative options for angles, IMO a GoPro is a good tool for any level of film maker.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
That's kind of the direction I was headed but wanted to see what else was out there.

I am also looking at the GP because I could use a good wide angle lens but the cost of one is about the same as the GP... BUT the GP gives me more creative options.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Dont forget the only drawback to GoPro is the lens.
Stuck with that POV throughout the whole shot.
The HERO 3 has a new option that's better as far as lens views go but its still pretty wide.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Simply put, there really aren't any "be all end all" cameras.

I'd get the Go Pro in addition to your t2i. Neither of those cameras is a replacement for the other.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I am also looking at the GP because I could use a good wide angle lens but the cost of one is about the same as the GP... BUT the GP gives me more creative options.

Not really the same cost....a good wide angle lens is going to still be more than a GoPro3 Black.

Dont forget the only drawback to GoPro is the lens.
Stuck with that POV throughout the whole shot.
The HERO 3 has a new option that's better as far as lens views go but its still pretty wide.

Yeah thats an issue but I've had great success with using plugins that "de-fisheye", Alex4D has a great one for free. Also the narrow POV option combined with the de-fisheye gives you like a 28-35mm equivalent field of view with hardly any warping if done right.

Simply put, there really aren't any "be all end all" cameras.

I'd get the Go Pro in addition to your t2i. Neither of those cameras is a replacement for the other.

Exactly. You can't go wrong with a GoPro...its not only a camera for ANYONE and EVERYONE but its a great tool like I highlighted in my previous posts.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
Yeah thats an issue but I've had great success with using plugins that "de-fisheye", Alex4D has a great one for free. Also the narrow POV option combined with the de-fisheye gives you like a 28-35mm equivalent field of view with hardly any warping if done right.

This is what I am thinking. i can use either the ultra wide or the narrow view. There are option with in the gopro, just not ultra wide.

AND I TOTALLY FORGOT TO MENTION that I already have a 5dii. So this is a B cam of sorts. Sorry....

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY

This is what I am thinking. i can use either the ultra wide or the narrow view. There are option with in the gopro, just not ultra wide.

AND I TOTALLY FORGOT TO MENTION that I already have a 5dii. So this is a B cam of sorts. Sorry....

Yeah a 5D Mk.II is a very capable tool lol. With a T2i (550D) and a 5D Mk.II you have your two main cameras and with the GoPro you have your highspeed/first person/creative view camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.