120g or 160g

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michaelfengdayu, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. michaelfengdayu macrumors member

    Jun 22, 2007
    I have an option to upgrade mbp to 160g for +$67 as a student.
    Shall I go for it?
    The cons are:
    1. Can't get changed in the local store if there's flaw (say screen problems or dead pixels) since it's CTO.
    2. addtional cost
    3. time delay in shipping.
  2. siurpeeman macrumors 603


    Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    should you decide that you need an upgrade to 160 or bigger, you can't do it without voiding the warranty. then again, perhaps an external drive would suit you fine. something to consider.
  3. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

    Jul 30, 2006
    i'd get the 160gb. always get the biggest one you can afford on the MBP.
  4. killerrobot macrumors 68020


    Jun 7, 2007
    I agree. $67 is not that much more.

    However, if you're really worried about not being able to switch it at a local store, then I say get the 120 and buy an external. You're probably going to want one anyways in the long run, because laptops fill up fast (all of mine have at least), so you can transfer unneeded files off of it, and also have something to back up to.
  5. thegrandmaster macrumors regular


    Feb 3, 2007
    I'd be worried about switching in store repairs as well, I'd be more inclined to go for an external, that way you can use it between computers (if you ever needed to) and you can still get help in store if you need it.

    Just my 2p :)
  6. Sir Diggamus macrumors newbie

    Apr 6, 2007
    Go for 160GB!

    This is what I did. I recently got the SR 2.2 model (it arrived yesterday actually) and the 160GB is what I went with. I am a student too and really love all kinds of music. I went to the 160GB hard drive because for $67 extra bucks I can store more music than my 30GB Ipod can hold and still have 100+GB of space to do what I want with. Just my opinion...
  7. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

    Jan 24, 2005
    Similar Question

    I plan on buying a MBP first weekend in August to take advantage of the No Tax Holiday. I live in KS, but the Apple store is in MO so I could order in store with no tax. But, I would like the 160 HDD. Is there anyway this is possible? If I shipped it to MO, would it be tax free? Any ideas???
  8. heySparky macrumors regular


    Mar 8, 2007
    Me too. Go large.
  9. Papajohn56 macrumors 6502

    Aug 13, 2005
    Apple told me if you get a HD from Apple and have somewhere certified install it, it doesn't void your warranty.
  10. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040


    May 16, 2006
    Central Florida!
    So if you get a custom and it bad you cant take it to the store, but you can ship it in?????
  11. epardilla macrumors newbie

    Feb 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    DO IT! You'll easily outgrow the 120gigs... i upgraded the 2. to 2.4 160gig... i realized when i had the 2.2 ghz mbp how little the free space was....just thinking of the future when i amass too much files/space :) :) :)
  12. justaphone macrumors member

    Jun 17, 2007
    Dont do it!!!!


    I was in your very same shoes a week ago... I opted for the 160 thinking 40 gb for $67 was a decent move. Then, I got my MBP and it had a flawed screen. Totally stuck dealing with the phone calls to Apple and now impatiently waiting for my DEFECTIVE MBP to reach California so they can BEGIN my replacement order...

    To really answer your question- I would have donated the 67 bucks and taken the smaller hard drive/ stock model to not have to wait and endure the customer service inquisition...
  13. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040


    May 16, 2006
    Central Florida!
    I am going for the 160, you can send it back if it has issues, just called Apple.
  14. michaelfengdayu thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 22, 2007
    Any idea about the Performance difference between the two? in terms of speed, noise or power comsumption, since they could be from different manufacturer.
  15. klharper macrumors member

    May 2, 2007
    I really don't see how the 160gb vs. 120gb affects the tax-free status of the laptop?

    But more importantly, check the state regulations for the Holiday. I was going to do this as well, but read the specifications and the limit in GA for a tax-free computer was $1500 - clearly not in the budget of a MBP.
  16. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    Stick with the basic 120. Externals are better for many reasons (they have been posted above). Also, dealing with online returns for defects is a major hassle. Being able to go into any Apple Store and making them fix it ASAP has a certain value to it. Although the Apple Store might have a 160 model in-stock, it's worth checking out if it is something you desire.
  17. puckhead193 macrumors G3


    May 25, 2004
    160... if their's a problem ring apple asap and don't wait the few days like some people on here :rolleyes:
  18. dogbone macrumors 68020


    Sep 16, 2005
    S33.687308617200465 E150.31341791152954

    Get the 160 and an external firewire. Keep it backed up with a bootable clone then if you need to send your mbp for repair at least you can plug your external into someone elses monitor and continue to work.
  19. pdra05 macrumors regular

    Apr 24, 2007
    Melbourne City, VIC, Australia
    I'd encourage you to go for the 160GB hard drive.. Trust me, the extra space will come in handy sooner or later :)

Share This Page