120GB SSD is it enough for design production

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sugarboylovemac, Mar 23, 2011.

1. sugarboylovemac macrumors member

sugarboylovemac

I do design and web development.

Will install CS5 Premium Set, Xcode, Office MAC Ver and will install Final Cut Pro, and some 3D software... is it 128GB SSD is not far enough??... is it better I use the 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm for the main bay.. and upgrade 256GB SSD later when SSD down the price...??

Any advice ? Thx a LOTTTT!!!

Yes it is about money issue... want to upgrade SSD but feel expansive....but want to enjoy the fast speed...

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

If it feels expensive then I recommend waiting, for your needs 120GB will be minimum and not a long term solution.

3. sugarboylovemac thread starter macrumors member

sugarboylovemac

But I will buy a external hd for storage. And the SSD is only for programm...

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

5. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Yes the SSD will have plenty of space for all the applications you have mentioned.

6. sugarboylovemac thread starter macrumors member

sugarboylovemac

Thx, Ryan. It is what I want to know.

7. sugarboylovemac thread starter macrumors member

sugarboylovemac

Hi Hansr, but is it only support SATA 2 ?

8. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Yes but that will maximize performance for any HDD. The latest SSDs are the only drives that will truly utilize the SATA 3 connections in the new MBPs.

9. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

Don't fall for the SSD hype. The space to price ratio isn't quite there yet. Invest in a 7200rpm 500gig hard drive and max out your ram. Or do what I did is put two of them in your MBP.

10. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

The speed to price ratio is pretty good though. It depends on what is important to you.

11. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

There is no hype; it's truth. Go watch the youtube videos of programs opening almost instantly. User experience is night and day.

12. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

SSD in my old 2010 macbook pro (intel 80gb x-25m) threw adobe around like nothing. Started all the creative suite program in under 10 seconds (all the programs lol) and juggled 500+ megabyte raw files. : ) SSD unleashed my old mbp. OSX started in like 15 secs lol. Id get that SSD and some extra ram and youll be happy. Carry a external hard drive for whatever. But use the SSD for Adobe and whatever you use.. cuts those programs like a hot knife through butter.

13. Blipp, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

Blipp macrumors 6502

Optibay SSD

My plan is to remove the optical drive from my MBP and have both a 120GB SSD and the 750GB HDD that came with the laptop. I'll put the SSD in the current HDD bay to take advantage of SATA 3 connection and move the HDD to the optibay. This way I can install the OS and applications on the SSD for fast booting and launching while also minimizing write cycles by having the large scratch disk internally for my Home folders. I haven't started ordering components yet but I'm already excited for how fast this thing is going to be.

14. sugarboylovemac thread starter macrumors member

sugarboylovemac

Hi Blipp, I would like to know what is the connection (SATA2 / SATA3) for the other 120GB SSD after you remove the optical drive ? I know the main bay must Use SATA3 connection, but I'm not sure what is the connection for the other.

15. Hansr macrumors 6502a

16. Blipp macrumors 6502

This is correct. Most SSDs out there right now are SATA 2 anyways but I plan on waiting for the Vertex 3 and take full advantage of SATA 3.

17. sugarboylovemac thread starter macrumors member

sugarboylovemac

SO do it means I cannot enjoy the SATA3 benefit (speed) , if I put the Vertex 3 to replace the optical drive ?

On the other hand m what is the spec for the apple 120GBB ssd (SATA2 or 3) ?

18. Hansr macrumors 6502a

No put the Vertex 3 in the main slot and use the HDD to replace the optical drive.