120GB SSD shows up as 80GB in Finder?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by awer25, Jun 24, 2011.

1. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I have a 120GB Vertex 3 installed with only a single partition for OSX that was for the full 120GB. Then, I wanted to install Windows onto the SSD to speed it up, and through the Bootcamp manager made a 40GB partition. It had an error and couldn't finish. I then tried partitioning 40GB in Disk Utility, but again some files "couldn't be moved" (even when working from a SL disc). Not that it helped, but I also repaired permissions and have restarted several times.

Anyway, now Disk Utility shows only 1 partition for 119.69GB, which has about 50GB free. The only partition, "Mac SSD", only shows up in Finder as 80GB in Finder though. Somehow, the 40GB I tried setting aside for Windows is not being added back to the main partition, even though it shows it all as one partition in Disk Utility.

I'm new to Macs and not even close to being fluent with Terminal, so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated! Attached are pics of the relevant screens.

Attached Files:

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Try restoring from a backup. You'll generally have issues like that if you try to do anything with bootcamp outside of the dedicated program. Also, 40GB might be a bit much, especially with a smaller SSD.

3. awer25 thread starter macrumors 65816

awer25

That was my next thing to try, but I was hoping not to have to go through the trouble of deleting/restoring :D

As for the size, I just wanted to make sure I had space for a game or two, because I use the 750GB drive for OSX and Windows data. Also, I usually have 70GB free on the SSD - it's just full right now b/c I downloaded something big to it temporarily.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Gotcha, that makes sense.