120gig PB hard drive only 112gig capacity?

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
765
0
Raleigh, NC
What the hell? I know that the capacity is always a bit lower than the listed, but 8gigs? this doesn't make sense... It list my HD's capacity as 111.67 gigabytes. I'm going to have to call apple i guess. damn. what is up with you lately apple? let's keep moving forward, but we also gotta pay attention to the here and now. You are upsetting your loyal user base.

anyone else get the 120 gig? if i had know this I WOULD have gone with the 100 7200rpm drive.

sheesh.
 

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
765
0
Raleigh, NC
no no...

after tiger i only have 102gigs. this is the drive itself... in system profiler it lists my drive as only 111.67

not cool.
 

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
15,925
1
Portland, OR
technocoy said:
What the hell? I know that the capacity is always a bit lower than the listed, but 8gigs? this doesn't make sense... It list my HD's capacity as 111.67 gigabytes. I'm going to have to call apple i guess. damn. what is up with you lately apple? let's keep moving forward, but we also gotta pay attention to the here and now. You are upsetting your loyal user base.

anyone else get the 120 gig? if i had know this I WOULD have gone with the 100 7200rpm drive.

sheesh.

Sigh.

Once again... (sorry, this has been covered a million, bajillion, gazillion times)

Your math is off, it's not Apple's fault.

A *byte's math is based on 1024, not on 1000. So your 120GB hard drive, which is listed at 120,000,000,000 bytes.. is actually that number divided by 1024 for kilobytes, then again for megabytes, then again for gigabytes.

Which means that 120GB is ACTUALLY 111.75GB.

This is the fault of HARD DRIVE MANUFACTURERS, not Apple.

Read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_drive#.22Marketing.22_capacity_versus_true_capacity

I will also note that the "missing" space between 111.75GB (my math) and the 111.67GB (from the Finder) is set aside for journalling and partition mapping and whatnot on the hard drive.
 

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
1,128
0
Peoria/Chicago, IL
yellow said:
Sigh.

Once again... (sorry, this has been covered a million, bajillion, gazillion times)

Your math is off, it's not Apple's fault.

A *byte's math is based on 1024, not on 1000. So your 120GB hard drive, which is listed at 120,000,000,000 bytes.. is actually that number divided by 1024 for kilobytes, then again for megabytes, then again for gigabytes.

Which means that 120GB is ACTUALLY 111.75GB.

This is the fault of HARD DRIVE MANUFACTURERS, not Apple.

Read more about it here: Well, wikipedia is AFK for me right now, I'll post the link later.


I will also note that the "missing" space between 111.75GB (my math) and the 111.67GB (from the Finder) is set aside for journalling and partition mapping and whatnot on the hard drive.
I always find it funny how many people complain about this exact problem. If you used that same drive on XP it would be the same way. My iMac has a 250 GB drive but on has a capacity of 233.64 GB. It's the same for everyone.
 

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
1,469
1
Bay Area
There's a difference between "formated capacity" and "Advertised Capacity"

;)


FYI, I have a 100GB drive, and it only lists 93.somthing GB
 

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
765
0
Raleigh, NC
damn...

yeah, i knew about this, but i guess it's a little exponential... my 60 gig only dropped to like 58 or something. lol. now that i calculate it, it does go way down. that blows.

oh well, making sure i wasn't crazy, and welcoming myself to the world of higher capacity laptop drives...
 

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
765
0
Raleigh, NC
good god

that really is so busted. well, sorry apple. I still love you like a ho loves crack. I was out of line. (although i have lots of lines in my PB screen).

technocoy
 

Kace

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2005
113
0
Sydney
right on yellow

right on yellow
not apples fault. do the math.
every storage drive you use has less capacity than what you would think.
including all HDDs and flash drives. its only that the difference is prominent when the drive is of a higher capacity.
the 100 Gb 7200 rpm would have about 93 odd Gb space.

technocoy my 60GB was 55 something from memory, which is in line with 111/120 and 232.7/250
 

topgunn

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2004
1,454
1,236
Houston
Call Apple. Yell and threaten to send it back to them and they will likely offer to retroactively discount your purchase by refunding money to your credit card. Be sure to accuse them of false advertising for good measure.
 

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
1,469
1
Bay Area
topgunn said:
Call Apple. Yell and threaten to send it back to them and they will likely offer to retroactively discount your purchase by refunding money to your credit card. Be sure to accuse them of false advertising for good measure.


Psst... Picture 3.jpg

;)
 

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
1,082
49
technocoy said:
yeah, i knew about this, but i guess it's a little exponential... my 60 gig only dropped to like 58 or something. lol. now that i calculate it, it does go way down. that blows.

oh well, making sure i wasn't crazy, and welcoming myself to the world of higher capacity laptop drives...
umm, no. not exponential...it's linear. my 80gb drive shows 74.5GB, which is about 93% of the "advertised" size...same for 56/60 and 111/120.

yeah, i can't believe how many of these posts always show up...
 

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
16,724
1,028
It's not really exponential or linear. It's linear within the GB range...93.1% as stated above. But it's different for other magnitudes. In the MB range, it's 95.4%, while in the TB range, it's 90.9%.

It comes from the 1024 versus 1000 difference cited above, which compounds with every prefix.

Wikipedia is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte

And yes, Apple was correct in their definition of 1 GB being equal to one billion bytes. The problem is that people don't know the difference between a GB and GiB.
 

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
765
0
Raleigh, NC
lol,

i was poking fun at myself, while also making a sacrcastic point about how many people could respond with how many people post about this.

lol, thanks for all the responses though, I was freaking out about it at first as i knew there should be a few gigs difference, but i didn't realize it could be 8 until i did the calcs...

sorry my humor wasn't clear... and it should be pretty obvious i'm not a troll with over 400 posts... HA ha.

I am still amazed how quikly one can find help on this board though.. after 4 years it still amazes me.

'preciate it.
 

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
15,925
1
Portland, OR
jayscheuerle said:
Like how they sell CRT monitors?

20" monitor (18.8" viewable)...

Does dishonesty across the board make you honest?

Aaahh.. good call! I forgot about that one. I've not yet scientifically determined if 2 wrong make a right. :)