120Hz+ from nMP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dermike, Feb 24, 2014.

1. dermike macrumors member

Got myself a 144Hz screen and a mini displayport to displayport cable, and can't get more than 60Hz in OS X on a nMP.
    In Bootcamp I can select 120Hz... anyone have a solution for this?
    Is mdp->duallink dvi the only way?

2. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I don't have a nMP, but on mine you have to use the "scaled" option instead of "best for display." The 144hz option should just show up under the "refresh rate" menu that appears.

Display port should be equivalent to DVI-D (or better?). I'm no expert on it though, I use DVI-D.

[​IMG]

3. dermike thread starter macrumors member

Dual link adapter got me up to 120Hz... 144Hz was flickering and had random noise in the signal. :(
    Oh well, worked with 144 in Windows at least.

4. Anim macrumors 6502a

Anim

120Hz is still pretty good, double the frame/refresh rate in OSX. I didn't even think you could do this so *thumbs up* I wonder if you can now do any kind of 3D on the Mac with that refresh? 3D Bluerays etc?

Edit: Thinking about that, you would have to have 240Hz glasses wouldn't you?

5. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I believe you'd have to have driver support which I'm sure OS X doesn't have.

With "Active shutter," the Video card sends a signal to the 3D glasses which blinks each eye on and off (alternating between Eyeball/lens A and Eyeball/lense B, synchronizing each lense with vantage point A and B, respectively). On my setup, it does this by having an IR emitter transmit a signal to the glasses.

There is also "passive" trasmission which uses polarized glass, like in the movie theaters. I am not sure TVs and/or monitors use this technology yet.

http://www.howtogeek.com/99662/guide-to-3d-monitors-tvs/