120hz

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tacokisses, Aug 3, 2013.

1. tacokisses macrumors newbie

Hey guys - I'm out of town and wanted to see if you guys could check something for me.

Can our 2012 iMacs do 120hz? Pretty easy to check on the windows side of things.

Thanks!

2. Mac32 Suspended

Nope. This is something I would really like to see, and is quite frankly more useful than retina at this point.

3. WilliamG macrumors G3

Respectfully disagree. What use do you see for 120hz? I see a couple minor uses...

1.) Blu-ray playback at 24p with proper 5:5 pulldown. I guess if you're really in love with Blu-ray on your computer, this would be useful...

That's about all I can think of. Gaming at 120fps isn't happening without MASSIVE performance increases in the GPU for 1440p @120fps.

So, really curious what use 120hz would serve?

4. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I think seeing a game played at a steady 120fps on a 120hz screen is something that needs to be experienced rather than spoken about. People say the eye can't detect more than 60fps? I'm not sure about that. When I played competitively, I required more than 60fps to play at my best. Anything less than 100fps and I was worried, I needed fraps or something to monitor the performance.

That aside, I think that Apple is very wise to aim for the 60fps mark for both the hardware and software, it looks nice and along with that gives you a sense that everything is working properly. With the hardware Apple puts into their machines, expecting to get anymore more is a bit of a stretch. I would enjoy Retina at 60fps more than standard at 120hz myself.

5. jwhazel macrumors regular

It really isn't limited to just gaming. Overall desktop experience is smoother too. I wouldn't put it above retina, but I don't think its an unrealistic desire.

The problem is imac's have always used higher quality IPS panels. No one sells a proper 120hz ips panel.

6. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

This is the kicker. 120Hz IPS would also drive the price up.

7. jwhazel macrumors regular

Perhaps, but its moot because no one makes one. It's impossible to reliably and sustainably drive an IPS at that speed.

8. Mac32 Suspended

Well, you can purchase 120hz 1440p monitors if you want, but not through the regular online shops.

9. jwhazel macrumors regular

Where can you purchase them? I'll buy 2.

10. Mac32 Suspended

Hi! You can start by checking out this site: http://120hz.net

These are basically 60hz IPS monitors ovedriven to 120hz I think. I haven't researched the issue that much. These monitors are supposedly working very well, if not as well as a true 120hz monitor in terms of pixel response time.

11. jwhazel macrumors regular

Does not appear they actually sell anything. And you are correct, 120hz ips monitors being sold are just overclocked. To the topic of at hand, no one makes 120hz ips panels and apple aren't going to a.) start overclocking all of their current panels b.) drop down to using TN.

12. Mac32 Suspended

Of course not, that wasn't my point. You asked where you can find 120hz monitors today, well there are information about where you can purchase them if you look through the forums.
    Btw. 120hz 1080p monitors have been available for several years, you'd think they'd be able to make an affordable 120hz 1440p monitor soon...

13. jwhazel macrumors regular

Who makes 1080p 120hz ips panels (not overclocked)?