$1210 iMac 20" Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sikkinixx, Jun 2, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

At my local futureshop (bestbuy with a different name really, its owned by BB too I think) They have a 'clearance' 20" iMac for sale for $1210 cdn.

It's a 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo
    512MB Ram
    160GB HDD (i think)
    SuperDrive
    x1600 126mb ATI

I realize that WWDC 9 days away with iMac updates expected but Futureshop does have a 14 day return on any product so if something totally smoking comes out, I could always return it...

The family is without a computer since my PC died and I have been eyeing an iMac for a while now.

Thoughts?

2. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Well I'm goin for it! It may be a demo model, in which case I won't buy it, but otherwise I am gonna get it and if WWDC turns out something amazing, then I will return it.

*crosses fingers they stay have it*

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Was it an open box model? 1210CDN sounds like a very good deal for brand new. BTW if it is Core 2 Duo it should have 1GB RAM and that is plenty for iLife, Safari, word processing etc.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

sounds like a good idea. However, if it is the demo model, stay away.

5. discodave macrumors member

6. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I was just looking at the apple site while waiting for my gf to be ready and... the specs the machine had (provided I remember them right) fit a Core Duo not the C2D..... I dunno if I wanna get a Core Duo since it's over a year and a half old already...

7. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I'm at the store buying it right now har har.

Turned out to be the Core DUo model but I get a 2 year warranty with it so it figure it evens out.

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Congratulations! Was it one that was forgotten somewhere then? Remember that the difference between C2D and CD is not all that much in reality. The difference between a C2D iMac and a CD iMac is *nothing* compared to the difference between a CD iMac and a G5 iMac.

9. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

They had one left at their warehouse that never sold so they sent to the the store (since it's the busiest one in Canada apparently) to get rid of it. The guy just pulled it out of the box that morning to put on display so I decided to grab it. 512mb of ram sucks but still....

It was 1019$ but they make you buy the 2 yr warranty so it came out to 1219$. It cost me less than the 17" C2D one would have cost me so I'm a happy camper. I still have $900 store credit at a Mac store to buy a new laptop with before Fall semester boots up again :D

10. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Awesome! That's a great deal!! 2GB of memory is seriously cheap these days, check out canadaram.com. Its only $128 Canadian for a 2x1GB Corsair kit. Worth every penny... or cent... or whatever it is you folks use!!

11. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^
    lol too late! I already got a 1GB stick since it was on sale for $75! Oh well...

The thing is zippy with 1.5GB in it! Much nicer than 513mb :D

So total it was under $1500 cdn for the whole deal :)