Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Its pretty ridiculous that you have to have X amount of posts in order to have an avatar. Why is that? No other site does that????

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
Its pretty ridiculous that you have to have X amount of posts in order to have an avatar. Why is that? No other site does that????

I'd like to have an avatar too and I think you only get one after 500 posts from what I've read.

Ah well at least I don't scare people off for a few hundred more posts :D

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
What do you mean by "anymore"?

Because I had one. I believe it was at the beginning of the year but I didn't have the now required posts. They took it away for just anyone to have an avatar. Pretty lame.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Are you sure that you're not confusing an avatar with your profile picture (below)? The 500 post minimum has existed for a very long time.

image.php

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Because I had one. I believe it was at the beginning of the year but I didn't have the now required posts. They took it away for just anyone to have an avatar. Pretty lame.
You never had one on this site. The 500 post minimum has been in effect longer than you've been a member.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Are you sure that you're not confusing an avatar with your profile picture (below)? The 500 post minimum has existed for a very long time.

I had an Apple logo that I had customized directly under my username. What you posted is the profile picture.

You never had one on this site. The 500 post minimum has been in effect longer than you've been a member.

Well that's pretty stupid they do that then.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Not on this site, you didn't.

That's your opinion. Having or not having an avatar isn't a big deal.

Well, for me it was.

I'm embarrassed to admit I was somewhat excited to reach 500 posts and get an avatar. Perhaps this is a comment on the pitiful nature of my life - but it was a kick. :eek: :p

I don't have any problem with the 500 post requirement. It kind of makes it a notable, and public, landmark.

It also makes it easier to find the members whose posts I like to read, like yours! (such a tuchis lecher.) :D:p

(Check with a Jewish grandmother for translation ;))

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
I had an Apple logo that I had customized directly under my username.

Did you win one of the avatar contests? Because that would give you avatar privileges for a short time.

Avatars are looked upon here as a reward for participating in the community by posting regularly over a long period of time.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
What is the big deal about having an avatar? I waited until I had well over 500 posts to set an avatar.

Rules are rules.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
And What An Avatar

Well, for me it was.

I'm embarrassed to admit I was somewhat excited to reach 500 posts and get an avatar. Perhaps this is a comment on the pitiful nature of my life - but it was a kick. :eek: :p

I don't have any problem with the 500 post requirement. It kind of makes it a notable, and public, landmark.

It also makes it easier to find the members whose posts I like to read, like yours! (such a tuchis lecher.) :D:p

(Check with a Jewish grandmother for translation ;))

I love it:D:D

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Rules are rules is besides the point. I've been to many a forum, and even admin'd a few, and I've never seen one with such a huge post requirement for such a simple aspect to your profile. I easily thought the members complaining about the 50 post requirement before they were able to start topics in specific sub-forums on one site I admin'd were out of their mind, but I see a legitimate complaint in this one. I can see requiring 500 posts to view and post in the classifieds section, 200 posts before you can have a signature, or even a couple days' viewing of the forum after registration before you can even post a single topic or comment, but 500 posts to have a little 75x75 image is not very sensible. So in a way I can sympathize with the op. I never really thought about it much when I was posting in the forum, but when I finally did have 500 posts I took advantage of it. Sure it could still have a limit, but something around 100-200 is more realistic, especially since not everybody will be averaging 5+ posts a day on a forum, so it could take possibly years before they even get an avatar. When I first started posting, I was full of zeal from the brand new 27 inch iMac model, and it still took me nearly a whole year to get an avatar. Simply put, 500 is not a realistic number.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
It was kind of fun for me to work up to 500 posts. I have two other forums that are my favorite daily places to hang out--one only allows avatars for special members (you have to pay a subscription fee) the other allows avatars right away. It is the Blu Ray forum so most choose movie actors. Everyone runs their forum with different rules--their forum, their rules--not problem from me. :)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The 500 post minimum for a 'tar didn't bother me at all. I viewed it as a milestone or a right of passage, like turning 16 to get a drivers license or 18 to vote.

I view it as something to work towards and "earn" so to speak.

If one doesn't care about having a 'tar then no big deal. Ones that do care can have something to look forward to.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The 500 post minimum for a 'tar didn't bother me at all. I viewed it as a milestone or a right of passage, like turning 16 to get a drivers license or 18 to vote.

I view it as something to work towards and "earn" so to speak.

If one doesn't care about having a 'tar then no big deal. Ones that do care can have something to look forward to.

That's how I feel about it too. It's kind of a reward for being here fairly long (most people post a few times and leave) and contributing to the discussions many times. I also looked forward to it when I was a newbie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.