Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
i never really noticed this but when i went to look at some new phones yesterday it dawned on em that the iphones screen is tiny compared to most of the competition

zmulleni

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Traditionally the larger the screen the more inefficient your battery becomes. Ask some android users with big screens how well there battery holds a charge.

Duckit

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2011
NJ, USA
I dont think that the iPhone's screen is "Small" its just smaller compared to some of the 4-5 inch displays. I honestly think that 4 inches is perfect.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
When ICS comes out your going to start seeing Android devices with no bottom buttons which will make a 5 inch a reality.

Also Android is getting much better with the battery life the Sg2 has great battery life.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It's weird. Just 4 years ago, the idea of a 3.5" screen on a phone was unheard of and revolutionary. Now it's "small". How much real estate does one need on a phone?

kdarling

macrumors P6
It's weird. Just 4 years ago, the idea of a 3.5" screen on a phone was unheard of and revolutionary.

Yep, few phones had such a large screen at the time, although PDAs had had them for years.

(The 2005 HTC Universal smartphone did have a 3.6" VGA screen. During 2007-8, the number of Windows Mobile smartphones with VGA+ screens kept growing.)

Now it's "small". How much real estate does one need on a phone?

You're right, very little display is needed on a phone, but the other Internet and App parts often can use all the space they can get :)

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
The iPhone has begun to feel small to me having switched around between iPhones, a Droid X, and the 4.5" Samsung Infuse. The Android system had the typical issues but god did I love that gorgeous 4.5" screen.

Try putting "the competition" in your pocket. ;)

Never once even with the 4.5" infuse did I have an issue of it not fitting in my pockets.

I'm in the US, where can I buy that today?

It is only a product announcement, doesn't even have a release date.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
even though my iPhone 4's screen is much smaller than my galaxy s 2, browsing websites and reading are much better done in iPhone 4, because of the higher ppi. my galaxy s 2 has bigger screen, but its resolution is lower and i have to do a lot of zooming in when reading websites. that's useless.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
All a matter of getting used to it. Like switching from a Honda Civic to a SUV. I thought 4.3 inches would be too big, but holding the Droid X isn't that bad. First time I saw an Evo in public, I saw a high school girl use one. It isn't that rare. More screen size also means bigger virtual keyboard in portrait mode for less errors. I used a 2.63 inch Palm Pixi and that was puny. The 9900 is also very small at 2.8. Your eyes will adjust to the screen size eventually. I can see why people don't want phones with a big screen size and have the phone be that bulky. But I can also see why some can never go back to a sub-4 inch screen and want to eliminate buying a tablet to lug around and going for one of those phoneblet hybrids. Don't knock it until you try it.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
It's weird. Just 4 years ago, the idea of a 3.5" screen on a phone was unheard of and revolutionary. Now it's "small". How much real estate does one need on a phone?

4 years in technology is very long time.. People weren't browsing the internet and watching tv, sports, and movies the way they do now. Apple is always innovating, "thinner, faster, lighter". How about a bigger screen?

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
When I first bought the S2, I thought it was massive (and it is). During the first day I had trouble reaching the top of the screen because it was too tall (and I still had problems using it one handed). After a few days I got used to using the S2 with two hands and used to seeing a giant screen. When I sold the S2 and used an iPod touch I thought the screen was ridiculously small, but then after a few days of using the iPod I got used to it again. Because it was a tall phone I had a little bit of problem keeping it in my pocket (no I don't rock out skinny jeans) because I would feel unsafe about the phone falling off it felt like it was on the edge of my pocket. I didn't feel comfortable either keeping it sitting horizontally in my pocket too.

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
Probably because the iPhone 4 if going on almost two years. Back then a phone with a 3.5"screen was petty amazing. Don't worry Apple is playing catch up with that 4" i5 that's coming out soon.

Loving my infuse 4g with it's 4.5" Super AMOLED screen.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Probably because the iPhone 4 if going on almost two years. Back then a phone with a 3.5"screen was petty amazing. Don't worry Apple is playing catch up with that 4" i5 that's coming out soon.

Loving my infuse 4g with it's 4.5" Super AMOLED screen.

Even when it came out it was smaller than most smartphone displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.