Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thermal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
In reading about whether the next iPhone will be a 4s or redesigned 5, a number of people argue the iPhone 4 should be redesigned because it's uncomfortable to hold.

Is this true?

I currently use a 3Gs; is the iPhone 4 relatively uncomfortable to hold and use?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Probably depends on the person. I've had no issues, but everyone's perceptions will be different.

arkon

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
I own an iPhone 4 now, and had the 3G for 2 years, and yes the 3G feels much better to hold.

But with a good case for the 4, its not so big of a diffrence.

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
In reading about whether the next iPhone will be a 4s or redesigned 5, a number of people argue the iPhone 4 should be redesigned because it's uncomfortable to hold.

Is this true?

I currently use a 3Gs; is the iPhone 4 relatively uncomfortable to hold and use?

It's ok. I don't have to tell you that hard corners are anything close to organic, but people were using this a few years ago:

cellphone.jpg

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
It is really personal preference. I have only used an iPhone 4 (for more than 5 minutes anyway) and hold it for long periods of time. I actually like the way it feels.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Completely a personal preference
I had the 3GS and the 4
They are different, but neither was/is uncomfortable to me

I love my iP4 and am not concerned about a redesign

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
I do think the 4 is pretty uncomfortable to hold, liked the 3gs design much better. And I have no use for the glass back either. I have a hard time giving up that retina display though!

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008

Is this true?

Compared to the 3 series of iPhone - YES - it is uncomfortable to hold.

Whereas the iPhone 3 series had a rounded, tapered back, and fit perfectly in your hand - the iPhone 4 has a sharp, square cornered back which makes it more difficult to hold, and more painful (not that it causes pain - it just isn't the perfect shape for your hand that the 3 series was) to hold.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I wouldn't say it's uncomfortable...but it could probably be a little easier to hold. I'm excited about the rumors that the 5 will be thinner and wider. I think that form factor will fit nicely in the hand.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
I just picked up my 3g the other day and I loved the way in felt in my hand... the Iphone 4 is not as comfy, but still not bad...

BamaATL

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
In my opinion, without a case the IP4 is uncomfortable to hold as well as uncomfortable when pressed to your ear for an extended period of time.

The 3G/3GS was much more comfortable.

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
It's not horrible, but it's definitely not as comfy as a curved phone. My 3GS and the original iPhone felt better to me.

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
In my opinion, without a case the IP4 is uncomfortable to hold as well as uncomfortable when pressed to your ear for an extended period of time.

The 3G/3GS was much more comfortable.

Pressed to my ear is where I find the iPhone 4 most uncomfortable to hold. It makes both my ear hurt AND my hand hurt.

Thank goodness for bluetooth handsfree.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Flat backing of the iPhone 4 makes gripping it in your hand while holding it up to your ear very uncomfortable. A curved backing like all the other iPhone's was superior and more natural for gripping in your hand.

If I have a long phone call to make I either use speaker or headphones, so it's a non-issue. Also I use a case so the flat backing does not affect me much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.