Is the iPhone 4 uncomfortable to hold?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Oct 3, 2011.

1. thermal macrumors regular

In reading about whether the next iPhone will be a 4s or redesigned 5, a number of people argue the iPhone 4 should be redesigned because it's uncomfortable to hold.

Is this true?

I currently use a 3Gs; is the iPhone 4 relatively uncomfortable to hold and use?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Probably depends on the person. I've had no issues, but everyone's perceptions will be different.

3. arkon macrumors member

I own an iPhone 4 now, and had the 3G for 2 years, and yes the 3G feels much better to hold.

But with a good case for the 4, its not so big of a diffrence.

4. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

It's ok. I don't have to tell you that hard corners are anything close to organic, but people were using this a few years ago:

[​IMG]

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

It is really personal preference. I have only used an iPhone 4 (for more than 5 minutes anyway) and hold it for long periods of time. I actually like the way it feels.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I have small hands with short stubby fingers. Both the iPhone 4 and the 3GS are comfortable in my hand without a case.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Completely a personal preference
    I had the 3GS and the 4
    They are different, but neither was/is uncomfortable to me

I love my iP4 and am not concerned about a redesign

8. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I do think the 4 is pretty uncomfortable to hold, liked the 3gs design much better. And I have no use for the glass back either. I have a hard time giving up that retina display though!

9. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

Compared to the 3 series of iPhone - YES - it is uncomfortable to hold.

Whereas the iPhone 3 series had a rounded, tapered back, and fit perfectly in your hand - the iPhone 4 has a sharp, square cornered back which makes it more difficult to hold, and more painful (not that it causes pain - it just isn't the perfect shape for your hand that the 3 series was) to hold.

10. mms13 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't say it's uncomfortable...but it could probably be a little easier to hold. I'm excited about the rumors that the 5 will be thinner and wider. I think that form factor will fit nicely in the hand.

11. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

If you hold it longer than 10 minutes, then yes it will start to feel uncomfortable :(

12. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I just picked up my 3g the other day and I loved the way in felt in my hand... the Iphone 4 is not as comfy, but still not bad...

13. BamaATL macrumors member

In my opinion, without a case the IP4 is uncomfortable to hold as well as uncomfortable when pressed to your ear for an extended period of time.

The 3G/3GS was much more comfortable.

14. theperipheral macrumors 6502

It's not horrible, but it's definitely not as comfy as a curved phone. My 3GS and the original iPhone felt better to me.

15. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

Pressed to my ear is where I find the iPhone 4 most uncomfortable to hold. It makes both my ear hurt AND my hand hurt.

Thank goodness for bluetooth handsfree.

16. frozencarbonite macrumors 6502

frozencarbonite

I have no issues holding the iPhone 4 though I personally preferred the rounded edges of the 3GS.

17. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Flat backing of the iPhone 4 makes gripping it in your hand while holding it up to your ear very uncomfortable. A curved backing like all the other iPhone's was superior and more natural for gripping in your hand.

If I have a long phone call to make I either use speaker or headphones, so it's a non-issue. Also I use a case so the flat backing does not affect me much.