Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jotamurray

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Changed to mac and got an expensive useless hardware... which crushes, had to reinstall, I even get powershocks when I don't use the long grounded cable; can't use many programs, my printer goes slower, I get static discharges (course i got an aluminum design ) which I've never had on toshiba, ibm or packard bell laptops. I can't install tiger because of incompatibilities with classic... whish i could get my money back and but a PC

For sale.- faulty pb 15" 1gb ram piece of expensive sh*t

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
well if its a recent purchase its under AppleCare so why dont you get them to take care of the problems?

guess there is no way to make everyone happy though...

edit: btw, whats 'crushing'? and i have no problems using any of the 65+ apps that are on my powerbook :rolleyes:

mauly

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2003
Manchester, England
jotamurray said:
Changed to mac and got an expensive useless hardware... which crushes, had to reinstall, I even get powershocks when I don't use the long grounded cable; can't use many programs, my printer goes slower, I get static discharges (course i got an aluminum design ) which I've never had on toshiba, ibm or packard bell laptops. I can't install tiger because of incompatibilities with classic... whish i could get my money back and but a PC

Yes, go and but a PC.. :rolleyes:

jotamurray

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Basically because i dont have time to take it to an apple center, as I am working full time... wont have time to loose the damn thing until july 15th.
programs which wont work are palm based apps; movie magic scheduling (only works under os9); gps apps. Also... my trackpad won't respond

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
you can always give it to me.

and i thought from the title you hated your MAC adress T_T i was looking for a fun read

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
jotamurray, do you want help with your various problems, which we could provide, or do you just want to complain and get sympathy?

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
If you hate this then you really haven't given it a fair chance, at all.

We're all GLAD to help you here at MacRumors, but you can't come in and bash the things we all hold in high regard and expect positive reactions. Also, please note that it is a Mac, not a MAC. That bothers many Mac users who feel that people who spell it that way are ignorant - but you don't know any better becuase you're new to the platform.

jotamurray

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Mate, I don't know. I'm just frustrated. I guess I got the one mac that doesn't work. When I sort it out It'll be fine... just thought these things only happened on PC

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
jotamurray said:
Mate, I don't know. I'm just frustrated. I guess I got the one mac that doesn't work. When I sort it out It'll be fine... just thought these things only happened on PC

nothings perfect in the world, issues do happend, but apple are usually very good about resolving any problems, sorry that you are having issues, if you have any questions, just aks, we might be of some help

Chaywa

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2004
Athens, OH
I feel more sorry for you having to use movie magic scheduling than any of the other problems you listed. That family of programs has languished in Mac land forever.
As for your PB problems it could be you got a "lemon." Every manufacturer makes bad computers from time to time. It's like they are just cursed. But it also sounds to me like you were looking for problems to begin with because you were upset about the price, classic support etc. and you get what you expect.
My wife's Dell laptop is only good for a paperweight these days, won't run any apps, outputs only blue channel out the VGA etc. but I don't take it as a sign that the whole line of Dell comps or PCs in general are bad. Don't hate apple for one bad piece of machinery. Take advantage of warranties and applecare and get it fixed.

good luck.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
This all seems a little bit surreal to me.

Should it all be legitimate, get your ass down to new Apple Store, have a chat behind the genius bar and sort out your problems.

Look, you can't switch to a new platform, expect everything to be exactly the same and not even give it a chance to FIND new programs, and overall if you do spend time getting to know your new computer you'll be more productive.

Come on, give it a chance. You think of all the people that have switched and swear by it. Co-incidence? Or do you think we're all brand obsessed nutters? *Cleans apple badge*

appleupnorth

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2003
Minnesota!
Maxiseller said:
This all seems a little bit surreal to me.

Should it all be legitimate, get your ass down to new Apple Store, have a chat behind the genius bar and sort out your problems.

Look, you can't switch to a new platform, expect everything to be exactly the same and not even give it a chance to FIND new programs, and overall if you do spend time getting to know your new computer you'll be more productive.

Come on, give it a chance. You think of all the people that have switched and swear by it. Co-incidence? Or do you think we're all brand obsessed nutters? *Cleans apple badge*

I agree - dont sit here and complain, be proactive - you cant get anything fixed if you dont go and get it fixed.

The PowerBook is a powerful tool - Ive had them since they weighed 20 pounds. There are many, many applications out there- consider moving to another application within Mac OS X itself?

Mac OS 9 was declared EOL a long time ago.. There was a reason - progress.

As for your printer - whats going on? Is it in a hub? 90% of the time, that is what slows down printing. Do you have the newest drivers?

As for Mac OS X - Did you keep the system up to date? Did you run Software Update? (Apple Menu -> Software Update) Apple creates them for a reason.

Dont fret, be proactive - look how many people respond... your part of a huge family, only getting bigger.

*Brushes off that Apple Product Professional Badge* *Smirks and says: Dude, if you got the Dell, you would be in the same place*

yvovandoorn

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
Amsterdam, NL
Sorry to break the bad news but there is always going to be a failure rate. Whether its a HP, Dell or Apple there is always going to be that percentage. Some companies have higher rates then others. However the industry average (i read this somewhere) is @ 1.9% of all units. So basically 1 out of 50 units off of the factory line is bad on average. It will never be 0% because a certain company named Motorola did this in the 90s (100% QC) and they almost went bankrupt.

Also I am not buying the excuse of a full time job and not having enough time. If it bothers you that much you will take time out of your busy schedule to take care of the matter. Seriously people take time out of their schedule to have their cars fixed or something else they use on daily basis and a computer is just like this. Now I am not ranting or anything but saying you have no time is just an irrelevant matter.

Now get that computer fixed!! :) Either by a solution on the form or actually involve Apple on this one if it is still under warranty.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
jotamurray said:

you don't need to install tiger, 10.3.9 is still great, i'm not getting tiger until 10.4.1, also if you're coming from the PC world you're unlikely to need anything from Classic.
Personally my printer (canon pixma 4000) goes faster and i don't get static discharges which i did get from and old toshiba (P1) and a HP (P3) i used to have.
what programs can't you use in the mac? i think most useful programs (office, all adobe programs, all macromedia programs, itunes, skype etc etc) work in the mac and the ones that dont (autocad) have alternatives (vectorworks etc). However I miss iSync, iDVD etc. in my PCs

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Top post.

Doctor Q said:
jotamurray, do you want help with your various problems, which we could provide, or do you just want to complain and get sympathy?

Nothing else to add really (see title)...
...need to jack the word count up though or this gets marked as spam.

So, nice weather we've having.

AppleMatt

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
AppleMatt said:
Nothing else to add really (see title)...
...need to jack the word count up though or this gets marked as spam.

So, nice weather we've having.

AppleMatt
I agree too. If the problems you describe ARE TRUE, jot, not only are you likely to get a replacement unit, but they may throw in one or two things for being constantly electrocuted!
You say you work full time, SO DO MOST PEOPLE! I think you can find time during your precious weekend to save yourself a $1500 death trap, especially if you are, as you say, "not that rich"!
If it was me, I'd be down there after work (the applestore here opens till 9pm) and making a BIG fuss!

Anyone heard of a Mac with these problems before?

huck500

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
Southern California
Why did you buy a Mac?

I call flamebait...

"can't use many programs"? Many at once, you mean? With 1 gig of ram? Or it runs some but not all of the programs that are installed? I don't buy this.

Your PB shocks you? Maybe it hates you, too... ;) Never had a shock from my Al PB.

Printer goes slower? Tiger incompatible with Classic? All of this stuff is either an indication of a really messed up computer or a pack of lies. Yeah, Packard Bells never have problems.:rolleyes: Take it to the Apple Store and get it repaired/replaced instead of whining to us.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
jotamurray said:

Just curious why did you buy a Mac in the first place? I'm not being rhetorical and I'm not a mac fanboy, but I'd just would like to know. Was it the marketting, the looks, etc?

If you've got problems with it, then see if you can get it fixed, and if you don't have any use for it then sell it and put your money towards a PC. I switched back to Windows as my primary OS for certain reasons, it's not like a crime like some around here treat it as.

If you're looking for a new laptop, check out Notebookreview.com for reviews. They also have a user forum there where you can inquire about certain models.

razorme

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Calgary, AB
jotamurray said:

Very funny! I can't fathom why someone who just switched to a Mac needs to run classic? Why would you spend all that money on a Mac to run antiquated software?

That's like me switching to a PC to run Win 95 software, and complain that XP is crap for having problems with it!

Let me guess... your dot matrix printer is slower with MAC because it prints everything as bitmaps instead of text like your PC???

billyb

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2003
jotamurray said:

I've already got a nice PB, but I'd be happy to take this warrantee'd "POS" off your hands. I'll even give you a few hundred bucks. I don't need classic anyway :rolleyes: .

bb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.