Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n1tut

macrumors regular
Original poster
I accidentally closed the lid on my MBA with my earphones lying across the keyboard and cracked the screen. Took in to the genius Bar at my Aberdeen Apple shop, and the repair charge was £299.

However the service engineer had a word with the Manager, and as a special one off, they replaced the screen free of charge.

That is what I call Customer Service.

tut

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Second To None

I accidentally closed the lid on my MBA with my earphones lying across the keyboard and cracked the screen. Took in to the genius Bar at my Aberdeen Apple shop, and the repair charge was £299.

However the service engineer had a word with the Manager, and as a special one off, they replaced the screen free of charge.

That is what I call Customer Service.

tut

I have dealt with many companies over the years, but Apple is the best for CS I know. I have Applecare on all my stuff, but one device (an old iPod) is not included. I don't even use it anymore, my iPhone and iPad take care of the same functions.

When I ordered my 4S, i was asked "Would you like a new iPod?" I said no, because I wouldn't use it...But as posted. The best customer service anywhere.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Awesome

their policy is spot on and they are human, which in the customer service world is rare.

But what is does is, it makes me go back and keep buying their products so the lifetime of the customer is actually very profitable for them.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Great luck...but the truth is....

That screen should not have cracked in the first place.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I'm very glad that the original poster was taken care of like this. People who aren't in the Apple ecosystem complain loudly about the "Apple tax", but the admittedly higher prices of Apple gear fund this kind of Customer care and having the luxury of popping into a local store for a repair.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
What about those of us who don't have an Apple Store nearby? The closest one to me is about 100 miles. Are there similar stories of free repairs with items that have been mailed in?

n1tut

macrumors regular
Original poster
I think the thing that did it for me Bob was the personal approach. It was a lovely young lassie that I saw, and I am a 70 year old disabled War Pensioner, so when she said it would cost £299, I turned on the charm and told her a couple of war stories of being blown up and shot down a few times, and that did the trick.

tut

Gregabyte

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
I've had good experiences and bad...last one was bad - I got my battery replaced under warranty, then the battery crapped out again 8 months later and they refused to give me another one. I hardly had any cycles on it but they would not budge. Turned me off Apple products for a long time, but I'm back now :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.