Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
It's November on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, They are all here:
Designer Dale's Google Docs

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from here when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
Hazy Hong Kong

Well, I haven't been around for a while, but now I'm back and I seem to be the first to post this month. Here's a picture from a walk around the Peak on Hong Kong Island last week. It was a lovely sunny day, but hazy.

Canon EOS 1000D/0.001 sec (1/800)/f8.0/51mm/ISO 200

themesforiphone

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
Laguna Big Rock

neosfun011.jpg

Rare rainy day in Southern California. Welcome clouds for photographers : )

View on flickr

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
^^^ Very nice, atmospheric... would make a good poster, I reckon. Love the (limited) colour palette... though the pedant in me wants to straight the horizon... :)

themesforiphone

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
^^^ Very nice, atmospheric... would make a good poster, I reckon. Love the (limited) colour palette... though the pedant in me wants to straight the horizon... :)

Thanks for the feedback! I definitely agree that the first step to perfecting this image would be to straighten the horizon : ) I wish the lens I was using had a little less distortion...Thanks again for the comment!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Another from Penn Cove on Whidbey Island.

EXIF Summary: 1/250s f/8.0 ISO100 Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro@100mm

This looks cool on my laptop and warm on my Samsung monitor. What do you folks see?

Dale

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Power being out, no cell service, and down wires everywhere pretty much cancelled Halloween this year. So I decided to try and replicate the Reece's photo with our ungiven out candy:

s3oN+

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com

First portrait shot I've done in a while. Messed around using little lights dotted around to try and help the subject stand out. I like the backlight. Desk lamps are useful.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I missed posting yesterday because I was on an all-day trip that started very early and ended very late.

This was behind me while I was pointing at the mandir during the Diwali celebration. I made sure I turned around and got a few shots of the lit trees lining the drive in and out of the parking lot.

IMG9578-XL.jpg

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
How do you guys get the water to be blurred while retaining quality? Faster shutter speeds?

Just the opposite... Use a tripod, and try shutter speeds of say, 1-30sec down to whole seconds. The blur of the moving water will contrast nicely with whatever's not moving: ie just about everything else in the pic. A useful gadget in these situations is a neutral density filter, which cuts down the light without altering the colours, and allowing you to choose longer shutter speeds...

cheerful1.jpg

Last edited:

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Wow yeah. I wasn't thinking when I typed that.

That makes sense, slower shutter speeds = more blur with movement.

And since the surroundings aren't moving, they'll still be clear. Makes sense. sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.