1270 cycles and 95,7% health

chlyeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2016
Hi,

I'm looking at CoconutBattery and I see that my battery reached 1270 cycles with 95,7% health. Is this even possible?

Despite the health being so high, it seems that the battery life reduced (I'm at 3-4 hours of Internet use). Can the autonomy gets reduced although the health stays high?

Thanks,

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
How old is it? Apple rates their batteries at 1000 cycles with 80% health, but that is the minimum - it's obviously possible that the battery outperforms that like yours seems to be doing.

Battery life goes down with age due to software requiring more resources, though.

chlyeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2016
30 months old.

Would replacing the battery gets me back to the old 8 hours autonomy?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It's not a battery problem as your battery is fine. You could use Activity Monitor to monitor what apps are using a lot of CPU power in case there's something in the background that's hogging energy.

Also, I recommend that you install ad-block software if you haven't already as ads, especially video ones, can consume quite a bit of power. I would also recommend using Safari if you aren't already.

chlyeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2016
Thanks for the reply man. Really odd. I haven't changed my use of the computer in the past 30 months so I'm not sure what made the autonomy go down so much when the health is still high.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2016
It's always good to check Apple's own diagnostic reports in addition to 3rd part apps like coconut battery.

Open 'About This Mac'.
Click on 'System Report'.
Scroll Down to 'Power' in the left pane.
Under Battery information you'll find 'Full Charge Capacity (mAh):'

Are you seeing the same charge capacity?

chlyeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2016
It's always good to check Apple's own diagnostic reports in addition to 3rd part apps like coconut battery.

Open 'About This Mac'.
Click on 'System Report'.
Scroll Down to 'Power' in the left pane.
Under Battery information you'll find 'Full Charge Capacity (mAh):'

Are you seeing the same charge capacity?
Exactly the same charge capacity! (but 50% has a 1:30 hours life now)

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2016
As Hellhammer said, it's not the battery. What are you using to browse the internet? Chrome, Firefox etc? Also do you have Flash installed? These are the usual suspects with poor battery life.

It's tough to say what the issue is without understanding your usage. The best way to see what is eating up your battery was addressed by Hellhammer. Open Activity monitor and see what is having the largest energy impact.

chlyeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2016
As Hellhammer said, it's not the battery. What are you using to browse the internet? Safari, Chrome, Firefox etc? Also do you have Flash installed? These are the usual suspects with poor battery life.

It's tough to say what the issue is without understanding your usage. The best way to see what is eating up your battery was addressed by Hellhammer. Open Activity monitor and see what is having the largest energy impact.
I'm only using Chrome. I checked the Activity Monitor and Chrome has a 16.7 energy impact. That's all pretty much. I also haven't changed my use since I bought the computer

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2016
I'm only using Chrome. I checked the Activity Monitor and Chrome has a 16.7 energy impact. That's all pretty much. I also haven't changed my use since I bought the computer
That's most likely your culprit. Chrome is notoriously power hungry. Stop using it (quit the application, not just exit) and switch to Safari and see if that makes a difference.

chlyeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2016
That's most likely your culprit. Chrome is notoriously power hungry. Stop using it (quit the application, not just exit) and switch to Safari and see if that makes a difference.
I'll try that. How to explain that battery life was great for the past 2 years I've used Chrome until now though?

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2016
I'll try that. How to explain that battery life was great for the past 2 years I've used Chrome until now though?
I don't know what to tell you in regards to why it's happening now. I can only try to help you remedy the situation. Continue using Safari to see if that remedies your battery life issues and if not than investigate further. No need to ask why if we find a fix :).

Reactions: keysofanxiety

chlyeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2016
I don't know what to tell you in regards to why it's happening now. I can only try to help you remedy the situation. Continue using Safari to see if that remedies your battery life issues and if not than investigate further. No need to ask why if we find a fix :).
Sounds good. I'll try and report!

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Chrome is power hungry and added admalware to my 2013 MBA. Had a hard time getting rid of the admalware, but got it done.

Last edited:

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
Nothing wrong with asking "why", even if a fix is found. I'm having similar issues and I'm using Firefox as I can't stand Safari. My Activity Monitor is pointing to a large CPU% for Messages.

Last edited:

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2016
Nothing wrong with asking "why", even if a fix is found. I'm having similar issues and I'm using Firefox as I can't stand
Safari. My Activity Monitor is pointing to a large CPU% for Messages.
Nothing wrong with asking why but I wouldn't be able to isolate the reason for the sudden change in battery life without investing more time than I have available. I did my best to help with the information provided, hopefully a simple switch in browsers did the trick.

Daniva

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2013
Italy
Hi,

I'm looking at CoconutBattery and I see that my battery reached 1270 cycles with 95,7% health. Is this even possible?

Despite the health being so high, it seems that the battery life reduced (I'm at 3-4 hours of Internet use). Can the autonomy gets reduced although the health stays high?

Thanks,
1270 load cycles in 30 months are more than one cycle a day.
Did you charge it three times every two days? It sounds bad.
Maybe a System Management Controller reset can help you......if it's not a joke ;)

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Sure does sound like a lot of cycles, just checked mine which will be three years old in July. 231 cycles, fully charged, capacity 4871 mAh, 4843 cycles remaining. Have not been running on battery much recently, but when I do it doesn't seem much worse than it did when new. Never used Chrome...

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
Wow. I had battery replaced in my MBA after a little over 2 years. It had less than 100 cycles but had 78% capacity...It strange to see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.