128 GB Flash Memory?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by daverso, Oct 11, 2007.

1. daverso macrumors regular

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/01/10/future-of-flash-revealed

I know if apple decided to go with something like this, they would probably slowly transition into it, maybe release a 32gb iPod Touch or iPhone first. But, what do you think the chances of something like this happening? The technology is getting there, but maybe the prices aren't yet... I know Steve Jobs wants to put the spinning disk in the trash can asap, but how soon do you think it will be?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Starting with an ultraportable at WWDC '08, I think it will flash will then be an option in all Apple laptops by the end of 2009.

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'd say at least two years, probably three before we see these in iPods.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yeah definitely three for ipods ( didn't see this was in the iPod forum for my fist response)

6. pushateg7 macrumors member

finally a different topic other than hackin the touch!

either way it's going to be expensive.....and i'll probably want to buy it :p

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

That's one less reason for you to upgrade in the future to a higher capacity iPod. But Apple wants your money.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, I know apple want my $$$, but every other company is doing it, does apple not care about competition at all?

10. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Not really, they don't have to w/ iPods. That is the way they see it. IMO

11. pushateg7 macrumors member

Pretty much, they know they'll be selling no matter what as long as iPods remain fashionable etc.

12. bloodycape macrumors 65816

That is one reason why the ipod is off my list because I can get the Zen flash player from Creative that can do 32gigs = 16gigs built in + a 16gig SD card. Something that Apple does not offer, and looks attractive with us with a decent amount if video or audio files. And in actuality if a company can keep innovating, or adding features that are worth upgrading, then SD card will take the user only so far. Like I would get the Creative Zen(and may if they integrate the files from the SD card into the main folders, + plus lower SD card prices), and if I do, I can tell you I will be upgrading to the next player that offers the same thing but with a 3in screen(even 2.7in wide-screen) and 32gigs(or 24gigs if possible) and a SD card slot for even more space. Then again Apple probably does not want to get into the SD card slot war. With companies jumping from slot to slot with different models. Like one company at first supporting SD cards on all their products and then all of sudden decide to go to the small and more limited MicroSD slot that at the moment maxes out at 4gigs(compared to miniSD that is at 8gigs atm and SD which is at 32gigs atm, but not in stores yet).