128 GB Micro SD when?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Silverrune, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Silverrune macrumors regular

I need a Micro SD the size of 128 GB to store my iTunes library on a "Nifty Drive."
    http://theniftyminidrive.com/
    I recently bought a SSD and my library is 112 GB large. These to things never should go together. Anyone know when we may be seeing a 128 GB Micro SD?
    Edit: my current solution is a external drive, I want something as permanent as possible and a Micro SD is the solution I like the best.

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Back in 2008, Sandisk put out a press release that 128GB ones would be out in 2011 (that was the forecast back then.) However, I think 64GB ones only became widely available in the first half of 2012, so I wouldn't expect the 128GB ones to be out until same time this year, or maybe later (but probably before end of year.)

3. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

I personally hope so... This years Christmas present? Yeah, I think this far ahead haha.

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Indeed. I'm waiting for 256GB. My library won't fit on a 128GB, but it will on one of those. Hopefully, it'll still be small enough to fit when the 256's are out.

5. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

Gotta wonder at what point are we not going to be able to fit it on such a small chip?

6. teribithia macrumors member

teribithia

Are you kidding? 128GB micro SD,

Then the 5S with have the 128GB version, and we should pay more 100$ for it ?

7. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Why MicroSD? You still need to get an adapter to go from MSD to SD.

You're better off getting a high capacity SD card, 64GB is easily available.

Also MicroSD cards are typically VERY slow, so copying large amounts of data would be a pain. Playing back MP3's should be fine though.

Here's a very speedy SD card.

Since you mentioned that you bought an SSD, it's more likely that you upgraded your cMBP...so you can easily remove your optical drive and put an HDD in there—problem solved, and way cheaper/faster/more space than any SD card.

8. duervo, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

They're planning to use it inside the The Nifty Mini Drive. It'll take really long (relatively speaking) for initial "seed" of the drive with the iTunes Library. Once that first copy is done, then it shouldn't be that big of a deal to copy a few files here and there to it as you go.

The Nifty Mini Drive is a tiny tray thingy, almost the size of an SD card, that holds the MicroSD card. When you put the whole thing into the SD card slot in the MBP, it doesn't stick out, unlike an actual SD card, because it's a bit shorter than a real SD card.

9. Spikeywan macrumors 6502

That looks really nifty! :D

I couldn't find a price, how much are they?

10. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

$40 I believe.

11. Spikeywan macrumors 6502

12. Silverrune, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

Micro SD Because I already found an adapter I wish to use that blends seamlessly with the MBP. After a 128 GB Micro SD comes out a UHS Speed Model 1 is sure to follow, I believe that would be getting close to the speed of the slower eSata used for the optical drive anyway. Or as it used the be. I also still use the optical drive on occasion and can't get rid of it. What is the connection speed in the 2012 Non-Retina MBP Optical drive eSata port? And how does it compare to a 30 Megabytes per second+ Micro SSD.

----------

Second thought, I don't think a solid retail price has been established. Though I may be wrong. Of course the Nifty drive doesn't come with a Micro SD you have to buy one yourself.

13. poke4christ macrumors member

Very Soon unfortunatly. It's some complicated science, but we are fastly approaching the theoretical limits of current technology. You may know this, but I'll say it for those who don't.

Flash memory and processors at their most basic component use a device called a transistor. this transistor is created by overlaying various materials on a microscopic level. Currently, the best CPU tech uses 22nm. That is Nano-Meter meaning one billionth of a meter. The next step is 14nm, then 10nm, and so on. However, there are two limitations. First, a silicon atom is only .025nm wide. So we are getting very close to that level. Second, a problem known as quantum tunneling will make it very difficult. Basically, this means there isn't enough of a barrier to keep the charges where we want them. This means data stored in flash memory will become increasingly unreliable as the tech is improved.

What this all boils down to is that if we want to continue expanding storage sizes we'll have to find a new way to do it. We'll probably slow down over the next several years and hit the barrier within 10.

14. Freyqq macrumors 68040

hopefully they'll figure out graphene transistors by then

15. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

The reason is that the SD card sticks out a couple of mms from the slot, making it a liability and a little ugly. The micro sd card with adaptor can be made to fit flush, making it a safe, elegant, and permanent addition. Just like the old PCI slots... Sigh.