128 GB or 64?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by webitorgal, Sep 11, 2014.

1. webitorgal macrumors regular

webitorgal

I currently have an iPhone 5 with 64 GB. According to my storage, Ive used 41.8 GB, with 15.2 GB available. Should I get another 64 GB or should I move up? Will the iOS8 use up more memory? Do I need more storage?

Thoughts?

C

2. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Only you know yourself best my friend. Get the one you want. Good luck.

3. greenbreadmmm macrumors regular

128, while 100 saved is substantial, an extra 64gb* will let you keep another 2 years of photos added, more apps that take advantage of more pixels and plus whatever that (other documents and data crap) add up.

128 all the way! ha

4. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I'm sure you'd be fine with another 64GB model, but only you can make the final decision.

5. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

My opinion: higher resolution = bigger file sizes = more space is always a good idea. Going 128 myself.

6. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

If I get the Plus then I'll get 128GB because I'll probably carry that around instead of an iPhone plus iPad Mini. Each of those has 64GB. My Mini has more involved AAA type games on it, as well as productivity stuff for drawing and photography (dSLR). My iPhone has productivity as well as a bunch of photos and videos and social media stuff, as well as simple games.

The only thing that makes me wonder if I can get by with 64GB is the new iCloud Drive stuff. I signed up for the 200GB plan and there is an option in iOS 8 that allows me to only keep lower-res previews on my actual device. That could keep my storage much lower. But 128GB would be great for dumping photos from my dSLR and little Sony while on vacation.

7. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

May I ask what takes up all your storage?

I've gotten by with 16gb all these years, but I don't have thousands of songs or movies on my phone. Is this the main difference?

I know photos can take up some space, but not THAT much...

8. webitorgal thread starter macrumors regular

webitorgal

Mostly photos and music.

9. orange42 macrumors 6502a

When you take a lot of pics they add up. And I use it for most of my music since I don't have an iPod. I have the 64gb 5 and about 6gb available left. I've had it for 2 years so I'm gonna stick with 64gb because I'm not gonna transfer anything over and can always put less music on.

10. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

You just answered your own question.......

Personally I have about 4000 songs and a few GB worth of pictures.

I'm sure there are a ton of people who store video files and download way more games and apps that I ever do.....add that with music and pictures and its easy to take up space.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Pics and videos take up way more space than music. I think you would be ok with another 64GB iPhone.

12. Kevitivity macrumors newbie

It's up to you, but in the age of the cloud, I personally don't think there's a point in paying the extra $ for 128GB.

13. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

It might depend on what you're doing with your current phone. I sell my old phone for the same price I paid for it each year. So now, I'm selling my unlocked iPhone 5 32gb for $300, and paying $300 for an iPhone 6 64gb. It's pretty much an even swap.

If you can do a similar deal, I wouldn't necessarily step down to save the $100, but since I'm free-riding it, that makes a difference.

14. ray737 macrumors regular

128GB iPhone 6 Plus. Anything less is not worth it

15. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm getting a 6+ Gold 64GB. I'm using that extra $100 for Apple Care. I have a 4S 32GB and it's way enough for me.

16. ray737 macrumors regular

An extra $100 bucks and double the amount of GB. It's a no brainer as you take pictures video etc. not having to worry about space. I have an iPad Air 128GB. Love it. Never have to worry about anything.

17. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Well, how often do you look at pics and movies stored on it? If not that often then I would move those files to a PC, etc and remove them from the iPhone and keep yourself at 64 gbs. Apps may also be taking up space when you may not be using those apps very often. Just my thoughts on it. Save the $100 because usually resale value for highest storage phones isn't that great versus the premium paid for the doubling of storage.

18. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Was torn between a 6 plus but with less storage or a 6 (regular size) and higher storage. And i decided that i really didnt need that Note size screen, so i will def go with the 6 and 128gb if i am lucky enough to get one. I assume so, as i think that a 128gb iphone 6 probably wont sell out. Compared to the 16 or 64.

19. ray737 macrumors regular

It's funny I hear people say exactly what's stated above. As they constantly scramble to delete stuff on their iPhones or pads. Guess it's a personal choice $100 bucks is nothing for a piece of mind. Hell living in NYC we spend $100 a night drinking at happy hour.

20. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am trying to decide whether I want this or just the additional iCloud storage. The price ends up being the same-ish (over two years) but the iCloud convenience is I can always share all photos between all family member's phones essentially seamlessly.

We are currently using dropbox to do that but the storage is filling up incredibly fast, and it's not seamless due to needing to load the app.

22. ray737 macrumors regular

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The 6 Plus would effectively be my iPad. This is one reason I am really heavily considering the 128GB at this point. Throw all the media I can at it (pretty much) and be happy.

I would be in heaven if Apple allowed us to share media, similar to how we can share internet, between devices. I would have one 128GB device and the rest 16.

24. megapopular macrumors 6502a

I get a new iPhone every year so maybe I look at it a little differently in respect to pics and movies. I copy my pics twice a year to PC, upload a copy o Shutterfly, take a copy on thumb drive to my mom's house and keep some pics and movies on my iPhone that I really like. I've always used the 32 gb iPhone since they've had that storage option and now I'm going for 64 gbs.

25. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I usually buy the biggest storage option available, even if I won't use it. For the extra $100 you have a much easier time selling the phone later on, plus I like being future-proofed. I *say* I won't use the extra space, but if I ever *do* need it, it's nice to have it. Ya can't add it in later.