128 gb SSD question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tenashus1, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

For light web browsing, light word processing and email use, cloud for music, shouldn't 128 gb suffice over the next few years?

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yeah, as long as you don't intend to store many files. You'll probably have about 100 gigs left after everything is loaded.

3. nay2vp macrumors newbie

For me, I think it will do. I just bought the base 13" retina model at Best Buy for $1299 with their educational discount. Like you, I will just be using my laptop for word processing, web browsing, and streaming videos. All my PowerPoints and documents will be stored in either Skydrive or Dropbox, and any nursing videos I need to take to school with me will be put onto a USB flash drive. Hopefully, this will work out well for me.

4. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

5. tomtakesphotos macrumors newbie

I think it's enough. I also bought a USB 3.0 32gb flash drive for storing movies and things on as a little extra, it was only about £15 on amazon

6. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

It would be enough. It's not exactly the same but I have an 11" MBA from 2010 with a 128GB SSD. It has Office 2011 installed. It even has Fusion installed with one Windows 7 VM just to do testing in IE. I have plenty of space left on the SSD.

As long as you are not collecting or editing RAW photos, video, or have a huge iTunes library 128GB should work fine for you.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

128GB is fine for what you stated, though if you started increasing the size of your iTunes library it could start feeling a bit tight but keep that in mind given the meager size.

8. robvas macrumors 68020

Another reason why you would want more than 128GB - if you plan on using Boot Camp. Windows is a disk hog.

9. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

This. I had a 2011 MBA with only 128gb which I thought I could get by with. I have an iTunes server in my house, so why would I need to keep files locally? Just need OSX, Apps, and a Windows VM right? Well as soon as you leave the house those files become difficult to access (even if you have remote access, your internet upload speeds become the bottleneck). So when the 2013's came out I opted for the 256GB SSD and things are much better. Now I have OSX, Windows VM, Linux VM, OSX Apps, and a bunch of movies and music (not all, but enough to keep me occupied for an afternoon or a day).

I really do recommend 256GB if you can afford it. I "may" not have had to upgrade had my 2011 had 256GB (although I was also hitting page outs running my Windows VM and OSX, so that was also a limitation).

Just my .02 worth.

10. paul-n macrumors regular

I personally can also recommend 256 GB, this will keep you more flexible. Also external storage is not really smart when having such a great Macbook.

11. widestload macrumors 6502

widestload

I guess it depends if you're getting a cMBP or an rMBP and so whether you can upgrade in the future. I started off with a 128gb SSD as for me it was the best cost option (ie the others were just too much in 2011). It was a squeeze, but I managed to fit Office, Windows, Various Adobe Programs and others on it, with an external drive for my photos and music. Later I used the optibay for a 1TB HDD so I could have some on board storage. I've now just upgraded the SSD for a faster 240gb drive as I was starting to get limited by the 128. So if you're going for a non retina pro and can upgrade later, then yeah a 128 could well be fine, especially as Apple's prices are steep compared to after market drives. But if you're going retina and wont be able to upgrade then i reckon 256 should be your minimum.