128 gb ssd vs 256 gb ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zsobes, Jul 27, 2011.

1. zsobes macrumors newbie

I am about to purchase a new macbook pro for college. Over the last three years I have used 96 gb/250gb of hard drive space on my macbook. Do you suggest that I get the 256 gb ssd or the 128 gb ssd? I am going to be a business major. I'm not sure if I should go for 256 to be safe, or if the 128 will do. I plan on using this computer for the next four years and do not want to run out of hard drive space, but at the same time am a bit hesitant about dropping the extra cash for the 256 gb.

Thanks.

2. aluren macrumors 65816

As a business major, you probably won't need that much space. The only programs you'll need is Microsoft Office...

I'd say you should get the 128gb now and just wait till the price drop on the 256 later on. I bought a Vertex 3 128gb like two months ago for $300 and in just two months the price dropped by $100... And besides, a MBP's hard drive is always replaceable, so if you run out of space, then get a bigger hard drive.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Go for the smaller one, if you need more space you can always get an external hard drive for stuff that you don't need at all times like movies and such if you end up having a lot of media on the mac. Save the $$ and spend it on books or something.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I say just go for a 750GB Scorpio Black and use that money saved for books too. But, if you must, 128GB with 1TB External is a great setup!

5. zsobes thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks for the feedback. but do you think that if i've used 96 gb in 3 years I will definitely reach 128 through 4 years of college?

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

you're probably going to want more space than that for college. Music collections grow over time, as do photo collections. Newer programs are more complex, and thus larger...many things will fill your drive over 4 years of college. However, as a business major, I'd say go with a HD, not an SSD. You don't need the speed advantage of an SSD (though it would undoubtedly be nice). The speed is only really necessary for photo/video editing and graphic design. An SSD really isn't worth the smaller size and huge increased price.

7. zsobes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the insight. I'm strongly considering the hdd instead now. I was thinking of maybe upgrading to the 500gb 7200rpm hdd. Do you know of any issues concerning this hard drive compared to the 500gb 5400rpm? I've read that the 7200rpm makes a lot of noise.

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It varies but I plan on getting a 750GB 7200 drive soon. I had a 7200 drive in my HP laptop prior to my MBP and that made no noise, just a tad bit of vibration on my palm rest, but it's nothing to cry over. I am also going to business school, what major are you going for? In my opinion, I would go for a large HDD because of papers, documents, media, and all sorts of items.

If you do plan on getting a 5400 hard drive, get the new WD Scorpio Blue 1TB!!! :)

9. cinek macrumors 6502

SSD prices are coming down, in 1 or 2 years you'll probably be able to afford a bigger one, I'd say go with an SSD you can always upgrade later