128 Solid State?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jazzyjustinh, Oct 14, 2008.

1. jazzyjustinh macrumors newbie

Anybody have any thoughts or reviews of the 128 SS vs. either the 5400 or 7200 HD?

I am guessing the 128 SS is not worth the 450 extra bones. Would it reduce the battery power alot? Computer speed? I have a 250 in my PB right now and could maybe do with less since I carry a HD with me lots of the time.

2. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

better than when it used to cost ~$1,000 for the solid state (with less capacity... 64 gigs i think) when the MBA first came out lol.

In theory i'm assuming it would reduce battery consumption, but i actually read an article (don't know where, sorry) suggesting that it wasn't a big difference.

The main distinction is gonna be speed. You shouldn't have to wait for it to spin up, and the SSD drives are supposed to start up ur computer REAL fast.

3. LinMac macrumors 65816

I bought mine for three reasons.

1) Faster boot/application loading.
    2) Less heat from the disk storage.
    3) Data security by having no moving parts.

There are some downsides, but I like the idea of having those. It isn't for everybody, but I am certainly glad it is an option on the new machines.

4. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

What are these downsides? (Aside from the obvious one of having to lay out lots more bread...)

5. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

There are none. And if you buy a SSD drive on newegg, price isn't one either!