Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
How much difference in performance is there between the two offered video cards for the 20" iMac? If you are not gaming, but would be working with photos, slides shows, buring to iDVD (not heavy video editting) would there be much boost in performance? The cost is not that much different, but going to 256 forcings ordering from Apple on-line limits possible savings elsewhere.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
For what you describe, having the extra ram won't actually do very much for you. Of course, it won't hurt to have the extra space - but to be honest, the GPU's themselves aren't powerfull enough to warrant a 256mb buffer in the first place.

Edit - I'm sure there are hundreds of threads like this on here, do a search.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/278978/

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I agree - for your needs, the 128MB should be adequate. Always keep in mind what your future needs might be as well though...

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
For what you describe, having the extra ram won't actually do very much for you. Of course, it won't hurt to have the extra space - but to be honest, the GPU's themselves aren't powerfull enough to warrant a 256mb buffer in the first place.

Edit - I'm sure there are hundreds of threads like this on here, do a search.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/278978/

Thank you. This link was very helpful b/c he was looking at exactly the same cost issue as I'm looking at. Paying tax at Apple v. no tax and rebates elsewhere (but no customized configurations) makes a big difference in price beyond the upgrade cost of the card.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
On the other hand this does help future proof the machine. For example my brothers machine his imac 600mhz the biggest problem for usability is the video card can't keep up. It can't play youtube without skipping frames etc. So if you can afford it, it may be worth the upgrade depends how long you want to keep the machine. For the moment the 128 would be fine, now 5 years down the road if you still have the machine it might not cut it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.