Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcane68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
I have recently downloaded a .gcm file of 'Super Smash Bros Melee', i know the file type is for a Gamecube, and so i tried to open it with the Dolphin emulator, but it just crashes when it's trying to open the file.

I have tried to change the file type to .iso to mount it. the file type change works, but it wont mount the image.....i've been mucking around with random programs like IsoBuster to try and extract things but it all seems pointless.....

does anyone know a simple solution to just be able to play the game?

Arcane68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
ok let me rephrase.....does anyone know an easy solution to be able to play it on my mac computer....not a gaming console.....

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
ok let me rephrase.....does anyone know an easy solution to be able to play it on my mac computer....not a gaming console.....

Ignoring the fact that I am answering a question related to piracy, I'd be surprised if you could. Emulation for every other console I tried was horrible at best under OS X, so something as powerful as a gamecube? You'd need decent specs and to be running Windows, though if anyone can prove me wrong, feel free to do so.

Kashika

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010
I'm playing Wind Waker and Skyward Sword on my macbook pro in higher resolutions than my Wii or Gamecube could ever handle.
They run fine. So you are proven wrong (unless you want photoproof or anything)

Haven't tried Smash Bros though. But do you have the latest Dolphin build? I've heard that the new version is a lot better.

castillo4141

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2011
Have you tried PowerISO? It only works under Windows, but has solved my problems when I'm dealing with any disc image format. You can also try Dolphin on Windows, I've never had any problem with it, on OSX I've never try it.

Also, try to always run the latest stable version of Dolphin.

http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/download.html
http://www.poweriso.com/

Oh, and regarding about power...Gamecube is really not very powerful, at least not compared to current MBPs or MBAs. Is more about software optimization, that's why I suggest you try Windows version...perhaps even using a Virtual Machine will be better than OSX version, give it a try.

Last edited:

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
I have recently downloaded a .gcm file of 'Super Smash Bros Melee', i know the file type is for a Gamecube, and so i tried to open it with the Dolphin emulator, but it just crashes when it's trying to open the file.

I have tried to change the file type to .iso to mount it. the file type change works, but it wont mount the image.....i've been mucking around with random programs like IsoBuster to try and extract things but it all seems pointless.....

I assume you already own the game, and if so, you surely already own a wii or GC. SO why not just play it on that?

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
Games look a lot better in HD. It's insane compared to the low resolution the Wii and Cube have.

Actually I was being a bit snotty about the piracy issue. Its all well and good for the OP to DL a game he already owns, but otherwise he is a dirty thief.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Its all well and good for the OP to DL a game he already owns, but otherwise he is a dirty thief.

If he is in the United States of Corporate America, then he is a dirty thief. According to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DCMA) any acquisition of protected content via the internet constitutes a violation of the "circumventing copyright protection" portion of the DCMA. If he lives outside of the UScA, he may not be a dirty thief.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
A better question is why would you want to play an action game best suited for Gamecube controllers and multiple players on the Mac?

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
A better question is why would you want to play an action game best suited for Gamecube controllers and multiple players on the Mac?

GC to USB adapters are easy to find, hook up multiple ones.
Dolphin displays games at a much higher resolution than natively on a GC or Wii.

Best question, is why WOULDNT you run GC/Wii games on Dolphin?

matthew12

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009

Try the dolphin emulator. It now works on Mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.