All iPads 128Gb Cellular iPad Air - Stolen by the "unknown signer"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by trevpimp, Nov 22, 2013.

1. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Apparantly, some guy around my neighbor hood got a free iPad this evening.

November 11th- I ordered an iPad through Apples site.
    It was engraved and ready to ship within 5 days.

Todays delivery date was far from expected, I learned that the recent shipping method of apple is for anything less within trust.

Problem: iPad was signed for delivery by an unknown signer within UPS standards. **Hint: Could be one of my neighbors.

Report (phone call) - Apples customers service team throughout my night of waiting was very responsive and on-point.

UPS on the other hand is very unreliable.

"You will need to contact apple" -UPS Assistant
    (30 minutes after notice of delivery FRAUD!)

At all hope we had the option to get another order of the same and just wait with first priority options. All the wait got me to think that I just wanted a refund (too much fuss and hassle) - apple as nice as they are, offered my hands with a Free Apple TV. -- YES! I mean free. :apple:

Chose to stick with it and get another one. woot

2. iVegas macrumors 6502

iVegas

Doesn't surprise me. Today my Xbox was delivered and the UPS guy met me in the driveway and didn't even have me sign. When I got my delivery email it said:

Delivery Location: MET CUST MAN

3. Señor, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013

Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Sorry to hear about that man. Hopefully they just send a replacement by 2nd day mail.

Nobody deserves to be stolen from.

4. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

So they sent you a replacement at no charge?

That's awesome man, I'm glad Apple handled this situation so well!:cool:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bummers on the theft. I usually don't want to stick up for UPS, but its the shipper's responsibility to handle the theft, while you as the receiver can report it, they'll not anything but direct you to apple.

Good luck on navigating through the process.

6. Daytona 360 macrumors member

It may not be the most convenient choice, but if you sign up for UPS My Choice (Fedex has a equivalent as well), you can get delivery alerts, and options to change the shipment to hold at a UPS location for pickup (or even to a difference address for a fee).

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

ups horror stories combined with the fact i'm often not home in the afternoon is why i have my apple stuff delivered to apple stores (when possible). i realize not everyone has an apple store conveniently located near them, but for me it's 10 minutes away. if something wrong happens with delivery, it's all on them.

also, my ups guy is always the same, never changes. next time you see him, you should point this out and ask if he could identify who of your neighbors signed for the package.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This is becoming more of an option for me, I missed UPS on try #1, and almost missed him on try #2. I realized that I cannot be tied to the house for a delivery, though the frequency of my purchases are so low, I'll probably forget this hassle the next time I buy an iPad, or MBP :p

9. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I never have things delivered to my home. Always to my job. That way there's always a signer and things are on camera. :)

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Wonder if when you have a device sent to an Apple store for pickup if they require ID to get the device?

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

After the first attempt call UPS, give them the doortag and have them hold for pickup.

12. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I think they require ID and the card used to order the item.

13. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

UPS is not very unreliable where I live. Multiple packages they claim they left on my doorstep have been miss delivered. The biggest was an office chair. The box weighed 50 lbs. which they claimed they left here. Problem is the truck ran right past my house that day without stopping, and I know this because I was standing out front when the truck came by. Two days later, my chair mysteriously made an appearance. Someone rang the doorbell and left it at my door, no UPS truck or neighbor in sight. UPS had no knowledge until I called them back that the package was found. I think they sometimes hire temp help or something. :mad:

14. DJsteveSD macrumors regular

DJsteveSD

I HATE UPS :mad: , I had bought a camera from Best Buy and it arrived in my city but mysteriously dissappeared over the weekend. the package was delivered to my work address the next Monday but it looked like it had been opened and resealed. When I opened it the camera box was there but no camera. They did leave me the instructions, cables, etc. Best Buy did ship a new one the same day on another carrier...

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

Interestingly enough, this afteroon my doorbell rang, and it was a kid from the next street - UPS had dropped a christmas wreath package at his house (which happens to be number 4 on the street), instead of on our street, where we are number 4. It happens often enough that we all know each other - there are 4 houses with the number 4 all arranged around a rectangle. both ups and FedEx tend to ignore the street...

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

From a recent Apple in-store pickup email:

17. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Last year when the first Mini's were launched, I had ordered two. I always have stuff shipped to work as well. I went to the warehouse and there were my two boxes along with two others which were obviously also Mini's-except they were addressed to someone who didn't work here, at the business next door. :eek:

Can't believe FedEx goofed like that. Fortunately for the recipient I was a nice honest person and called FedEx and told them so they picked them up. Otherwise, from their perspective the package I'm sure was marked as "delivered", so there would have been no recourse unless they were able to get FedEx to fess up to the mistake.

18. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Great idea!

19. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Are you sure it wasn't signed for by an "unknown singer"?

[​IMG]

20. ZipZap macrumors 601

Isnt this called in store pickup and not the same as shipping to a store. Can you even use a store as a shipping address?

21. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you can use in store pick up for items the store already has in stock as well as anything else you can buy from the online store. if i want to, for example, build a macbook pro with a few options, i can opt to have it shipped to my local apple store for in store pick up.

22. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Not surprised here either. UPS and Fedex are very lax in their delivery standards. UPS should have been liable in this case but I'm glad you got it resolved though. I've learned not to have anything shipped where I'm not personally going to be there to sign for it.

23. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

my advice for UPS customers.... Best to pick up at local UPS stores if you are not able to sign at home. I have done few times cuz I don't trust my roommate. :apple:

24. esskay macrumors 6502

If you don't trust your roommate for simple package deliveries, it seems you would have much bigger potential problems!! Time for a new roommate or new place? :eek:

25. Soordhin macrumors member

Got my rMini a few days earlier and was on a 13 hour duty around 2000 miles from home when the UPS guy came around. He called my cell and when i called back he asked me if he could drop it off against his regulations at the shop next door. Of course i allowed it as they take my deliveries quite often without any problem.

When i got the delivery next day i discovered that there was a note on the UPS sticker "No Delivery to Neighbour". As i bought it from apple they seem to have made sure that something as reported by the OP can only happen against their wishes in which case UPS probably has to reimburse them with the price of the device.