iPad 128GB iPad Air - Best Buy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Krazy Bill, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

So at 9 P.M. last night my wife decides she needs an iPad Air. I start talking to her about getting a cheaper model then wisely realize that cooler weather is moving in and sleeping in the garage would be uncomfortable so I reserve what she wants online at Best Buy. Confirmation comes 30 minutes later. Went to BB at 10:00 this morning. No lines at store pickup window so I decide to get her a smart cover. A BB "kid" sees me approaching the tablet area, politely asks what I need and directs me to what's available. He then wishes me a nice day and leaves me alone. (Instead of lingering over my shoulder like I'm a drooling dufus and don't know what I'm doing). I pick one out, head to the pickup window, swipe my card and with a pleasant smile the gal pats me on the head and sends me out the door at like 10:10 with my iPad Air and cover. Even the security guy at the exit did nothing more than a casual glance at my receipt instead of the normal full body cavity search.

WTF is up with Best Buy? :eek: I haven't been there in 5 years because they always sucked. I can't believe I might have to go there again now because they really took care of me. What an unusually pleasant experience. I took great pride in berating BB and now I might not be able to do that anymore. Bastards!

And Mrs. KB is quite happy with her Air by the way. Of course I thought her first 3 were just fine but what the hell do I know?

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

3. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

Our Best Buy is fantastic. Employees are knowledgeable and not pushy. It's a good thing because nearest Apple store is 2 hours away.

4. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I feel like Best Buy has been improving but it's because they have to compete with the rapid pace of online shopping. I've occasionally found some pretty good deals there on things like small external drives, an iPhone case and even a microwave. They also have a decent selection of iPad accessories like specialized drawing stylus.

I've never had a BB security guy do anything to me. Is that common? When I would go to BBs in bad parts of the metro they would stare me down as I walked out the door, but I haven't been to those stores in years.

5. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I don't mind BB because I go in just to pick something up. Never to ask for advice. I was peeved went I went in Friday though and they said no local stores carry the 128 but it could be ordered. Had to leave and head for Apple.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

They are doing much better than they were 5 years ago. Prices are reasonable. They will price match a lot of other retailers. They have a good return policy. With their reward zone program you actually earn something back. I got my Air there just like my original iPad and and the 4. With no Apple store within 60 miles it makes things a lot simpler if something goes wrong or I change my mind. They were out of the Smart Cover I wanted so I even ordered that from them online for the same reasons.

7. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I always decline this "service" meant to make sure that I have everything I paid for (sure that's what it's for ;)). Unless it's in the agreement I sign to shop at a stores (like Sam's Club or something like that), then the border checkpoint is completely optional and completely skippable.

Sometimes the guards are apparently not told this, however.

8. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I picked up a MacBook Pro at bb on Friday and had the same reaction. The staff was really friendly and helpful. And when in asked about warranty he offered AppleCare. When I acted surprised he told me he doesn't push geek squad to Apple products.

I was just looking and planned to buy at Apple but he sold me nicely into it.

All in all very pleasantly surprised.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The Best Buy near me is full of young kids.

Though they aren't the best salespeople, the vast majority of them are extremely passionate about helping the customers. Sure the are some sales pitches being thrown around but in the end they really try to help the customers.

10. urkel macrumors 68030

Most complaints about BB come from people who expect pro-level advice from a minimum wage high-school kid. But if you go there knowing exactly what you want then Best Buy is fantastic. (And people really need to lay off the slamming of the employees. The bad attitudes and aggressive sales tactics are a direct result of them being underpaid and treated like dirt by management.)

If you plan on shopping at BB more then you should join their Reward Zone program. Its a shame you took a 5yr hiatus from Best Buy because you just missed their best years (coupons, extended return policies etc) but with Reward Zone then there are still a few cool benefits.

11. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I'm not convinced I agree with you on this point. I always do my research ahead of time and go into stores knowing what I'm going to buy. The challenge is getting an employee to unlock the cabinet or get something from behind the counter. On a crowded day, you can wait seemingly forever for the attention of one of the employees. Of course the same thing could be said of most products at the Apple retail stores.

So, other than the immediate gratification I get from buying something and having it right then and there, I tend to order things online. The happy middle ground is ordering ahead for in-store pickup.

12. leenak macrumors 68020

That is what I keep telling my husband ;)

13. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I've never had an issue with BB and I shop there a lot.

As far as those of you declining to be receipt checked, get a grip. This isn't a personal affront or accusation to you when they do this. Stores lose a lot of money to theft, both internal and external. That means we all pay more for stuff we buy there. Checking everyone as they exit helps keep your costs down.

14. hypobid macrumors newbie

Best Buy must be doing something right. Their stock is up over 260% this year! Crazy! Sure wish I owned some :cool:.

15. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Hmmmm, is it just me or does anyone else feel like they' em read this same exact post before but a while back?:confused:

I swear it had the same underlying tone and message about Best Buy lmao