128GB model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Closingracer, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Who else here has the 128GB model? Is it big enough for you? I am concerned that it isn't enough for me and my budget idk but $1,450 is quite a lot specially for a computer that is only for school for me and i have a bigger laptop for home use. I do want to add like 1 or 2 movies so this way i can watch them between school and home since it takes about 2 hours to get home from school for me. I also would like to buy KOTOR 1 and 2 from the Mac app store as well which will take around 4GB i believe each.

2. Alexrat1996 Suspended

i have 128Gb is not enough i have to use a portable drive 1TB

3. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I am afraid of that but i don't really want pony up another $200 :(

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have the 128GB as my only computer and it is plenty for me. I have everything stored on the internal drive. It really just depends on how much personal data you have.

Just to give you an idea, a new Mac with the OS and the iLife and iWorks apps installed uses about 20GB of drive space. So that leaves you around 100GB for your personal files.

With everything on my internal I'm only using just over half the 128GB.

5. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68000

See the thing is I have a Windows gaming laptop with a 1TB HDD and i have like 100GB left and granted 98% of that is just games. The computers before that was both windows based laptops with 500GB of HDD storage and used around 50% but with games as well.

See I am just used to having a ton of storage so my mindset sees the 128gb as puny but I am curious who else has the 128GB SSD and see how it fits them really.

If you don't mind me asking what do you have on your Macbook or at least generally what like programs, generally how many photos , videos and etc?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No games at all and just the default iLife and iWorks apps plus a few small utilities and things like an RSS reader. I have about 6,500 photos in a 9GB Photos library and about 1,300 songs in iTunes. Then Documents is 1.4GB. Just a couple small video files.

128GB is plenty for me, but it sounds like you have far more data than I do. Those dang Apple flash drives are not cheap though. I guess you have to decide how much it is worth for the convenience of storing everything on the internal drive.

7. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

It's big enough provided I don't want to load my entire video library on it.... (That was the problem with the 64 GB model I had before - kept running out of room.)

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

KOTOR is about 3.5GB and KOTOR II is abot 6.5Gb so a total of 10GB.

Films can take anything from 800mb for HD 720p quality highly compressed, to 140GB for a 4K monster.

1080p films run anywhere from 2gb to 15gb depending on quality and compression.

So keeping a couple of 1080p films with average compression and those 2 games will take around 25Gb leaving you around 75Gb to play with.

Only you can decide if 128Gb is enough space for you and while some people do fine with it others can't cope with that at all, as a secondary computer it should be fine. You can always use SD cards and usb thumb drives to store films and music on, you could even use a tanscend jetdrive to add up to 128Gb storage for video and music files, see link below.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=transcend+jet+drive

9. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

I have 128 and I'm fine with it. If I need more, I'll get a Transcend Jetdrive.

I got the 128 GB model based on what I have on my Win 7 laptop. It has a 240GB HDD and it's got 153 GB free out of 232 GB. I have on it:

- 44 GB of video (some SD and some HD quality)
    For example: season 1 of Agent Carter, season 3 of Orphan Black, seasons 4, 5 and 6 of Walking Dead, season 1 of Better Call Saul,...)​
    - 6.7 GB of music (1,667 files)
    - a few pics and documents
    - Programs: iTunes, Photoshop, Firefox, Chrome, MS Word, tax software, Nero, antivirus/malware programs,...

If you're just going to have a couple movies and games on it, you'll be more than fine with 128 GB.

10. High Desert macrumors regular

I went through the same exercise when buying my first apple product (Macbook Pro) this past November. I really wrestled between the 128 and 256 gb SSD. I just could not justify the additional money, approaching $1500 for a laptop. What I did end up doing was getting the 128 gb SSD, then buying an external 1 TB drive, on sale, for $39. Since I will be loading and working with photos, I set up separate libraries on the ext hdd and it seems to work fine. External storage is cheap, compared to SSD cost, but speed is a sacrifice, if that is what you need. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably do the same thing as I originally did. Once SSD pricing comes down and is available for 2015 macbook pros, I may consider upgrading to a larger SSD. In the meantime, the ext hdd works fine.

11. Alexrat1996 Suspended

the 1TB portable drives cost 50 dollars online

12. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

I have a 128GB model, it's my main work horse. Less than 50% full after 3 years.
    I dont really store anything on any of my machines, i use NAS for everything.

I'd have no issues getting another rMBP with 128GB.

13. Gesturthor macrumors member

I have the 128gb version, i use it mostly for school. It has 78GB free, i dont really store much on it i use icloud and google drive for my notes. And for movies and tvshows i use netflix or my NAS server at home. I do have garageband installed and few other apps. So 128GB is plenty atleast for me.

14. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68000

I love to have everything on my hdd vs in the cloud and only use it as a backup (the cloud). Guess I'll need to change that and buy an external if I need to