128GB or 256GB for Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by englishman, Dec 24, 2011.

1. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Would a base model 128 be enough or should I go for 256 if I wanted to install Bootcamp Win 7.

I think there is supposed to be some spare space if using SSDs.

Advice/experience with this setup appreciated

2. Shadow2k macrumors member

In case you intend to use both OSX and Windows on a regular base, I'd suggest going for the 256 GB model (as long as you can afford it). In the end it mainly depends how much data you want to store on each of the partitions.

I for myself own a 128GB model with more than enough free space. I plan to add a virtual WinXP in the near future but that takes takes less space than a Win7 installation...

3. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

It really depends.
    If you are just using documents and spread sheets it is fine but If you want your entire itunes collection that is another story.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Don't forget that W7 allocates ~2X RAM for swap and hibernation files. So if you have 4 GB or more this can take up a lot of space. I too would recommend 256 GB if you want to dual boot.

B

6. ljay macrumors newbie

i just picked up the 128 gb version and i just installed win 7 pro. I love mac hardware but, I'm primarily a windows user. The only third party app I've installed was Firefox on the mac side. i installed win 7 leaving only 9 gigs left on the mac side for future items after creating the boot camp partition. On the windows 7 side I was left with 73 gb's of space left after install. Not much space left after a fresh install. I plan on grabbing either a 64 or 128 GB sd card at some point and save items from both my MB and dell work computer on the same card.

I would go for the 256 gb version if money was not a factor though.

7. bill-p macrumors 65816

256GB definitely. I don't use Bootcamp on my Air, but on my Pro with a 500GB hard drive, I split 150GB/150GB equally for OSX and Windows, and just installed my usual suite of applications (Adobe CS, AutoCAD, etc...), after which, I'm already down to roughly 180GB free on either side. So that's roughly some 70GB worth of installed apps and settings and other things on either computer. In fact, just the OS alone seems to have taken around 20GB.

8. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman